• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 cherokee no start

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
Little background
98 cherokee 4.0 auto
been sitting without a gas tank

*Installed tank and pluged it all in.
*Turn key and all electronics work..lights etc...BUT no start. *No noise no anything.
*Turned motor and its not locked up.

Where do i start from here. Is there a shut off switch that trips maybe when tank is pulled? STarter? Relay?

No start as in it doesn't crank, or no start as in cranks but won't fire off?

No Crank. Not even a pop or click from the selinod.

Update-
Check fuses. they all seem to be good.
Jumped the starter. It just spins and dosnt pop out to engauge flywheel.

Going to drop the starter and test it/get a new one.

Still shouldnt the starter click/spin when turning the key?

battery is good. Grounds look good. Cables look good.

New Duralast gold starter just intsalled and when i jump the starter it still just spins and dosnt engauge flywheel...

If jumping the starter results in non-engagement, it is possible that that starter you put in is DOA.

If with a different starter, you get no click/nothing when turning the key to the START position, you might have something else going on.

A problem with the neutral safety switch is not that uncommon. Try starting it while "wiggling" the shift lever and also try starting in neutral. If either of these techniques are successful, the problem is the neutral safety switch.

If jumping the starter results in non-engagement, it is possible that that starter you put in is DOA.

If with a different starter, you get no click/nothing when turning the key to the START position, you might have something else going on.

A problem with the neutral safety switch is not that uncommon. Try starting it while "wiggling" the shift lever and also try starting in neutral. If either of these techniques are successful, the problem is the neutral safety switch.

Tried that when i first started this trouble..Just for the hell of it i went back to the shop after reading your post...wiggle wiggle and cranked over and ran!!!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back