• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio Button Lights

Tuckman1941

NAXJA Member #747
Recently, the lights on my 2000 XJ's OEM AM/FM/CD stereo have started to go out. I think it started with the #1 memory button and has migrated out from there. Are there bulbs inside it that I can replace, or could this be some other electrical problem with the radio?

I don't know about radio lights but the volume control on my 98 factory deck is going crazy these days.....seems to be worse when it's cold outside. I try to turn it down slightly and it goes to max volume. I've been told I can take it apart and clean the electronic resistor on the knob. If that comes off, then maybe you can get access to the bulbs for the lights as well.

my 93 stereo memory buttons went out then were the clock is and were it tells you whot station you are on went out so the only light that is on is the am fm light. so it is very hard to see what time it is when it is dark.
I toke the stereo out the other night and it sead that mitsubishi made the radio

The lights in each of the 3 equalizer slider buttons on my 98 OEM AM/FM/CD Infinity
system are goofed. Sometimes they are lit...but on most other times they are dark.
Sliding the buttons do nothing to improve things. One time I took the stereo out but
could not twist the screws to open the case as they are on REALLY tight. I thought
that I be better off leaving the thing alone as it is only a minor irritant.

The lights in each of the 3 equalizer slider buttons on my 98 OEM AM/FM/CD Infinity
system are goofed. Sometimes they are lit...but on most other times they are dark.
Sliding the buttons do nothing to improve things. One time I took the stereo out but
could not twist the screws to open the case as they are on REALLY tight. I thought
that I be better off leaving the thing alone as it is only a minor irritant.

I took apart my stereo and have learned that the lamps are replaceable. They're Type A neo-wedge lamps. I ordered new ones from autolumination.com and will post pictures when they arrive.

Here we go. This is for my 2000 XJ with the AM/FM/CD/Cassette player.

1. After disconnecting your battery and pulling off the trim around the radio, remove the two 10mm bolts and pull the radio out of the dash. Disconnect the three plastic connectors and yank out the round metal one.

2. Pull off the volume knob and the ends of the equalizer knobs. I used a small flathead screwdriver to pop off these three critters
DSC01771.jpg

3. Remove the plastic front plate by taking out the two screws on each side and carefully prying up on all the snap fittings. I found it easiest to start with the two on the bottom, then the one on each side, then finally the two on the top.
DSC01775.jpg

4. Remove the two silver screws on the circuit board and then pull it up from the right side.
DSC01763.jpg

5. Remove and replace each of the lights by turning them 1/4 turn with a flathead screwdriver.
DSC01768.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

6. Reassemble.

Back