• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise w/o PW/PL?

ShowMe Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Did any of the 1991+ XJs come with cruise control but not PWs and PLs? I am looking for the reliability of manual windows and locks but I often drive long distances where CC is a blessing.

I'm guessing that it was all one package though as I don't think I've ever seen an XJ that had one but not the other.

Thanks!

Greg

all the wiring is there in an XJ with manual locks/windows.
i did this to mine.
1.) go to JY and grab the vacuum controller for the CC and install into your XJ.
2.) go to JY and grab a column with cruise on it. install into your XJ.
3.) switch lock cylinders out so your current key works.
4.) hook up the single wire for CC from your new column to the single wire hanging down on the firewall.
5.) you now have cruise.

you could do with out the lock cylinder change if you get a column with a key in it. you would just have to have 2 keys on you. door and ing.

I have seen XJs with PW&L but no cruise and cruise without windows and locks. Mopar used to sell an add on Cruise Control kit which came with a clock spring, switches, vacuum pod and wiring, specific to the application.
With all of that said, there is no need to be afraid of the reliability of the electric locks and windows. I've had no problems with any that I have owned, including 4 Jeeps (2 XJs and 2 ZJs), 4 Dodge trucks and several other Mopars totalling 15 in the last 25 years. Some of those I owned for several years and 3 to 400,000 Kms. JMHO.

Back