• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring forward mount repair

1988JeepXj

NAXJA Forum User
Seems like I've seen this discussed a few times, but when the information is relevant I can't seem to find it. My passenger side forward leaf mount finally cracked around the floor, enough for it to flex when the suspension jounces. Its a little rusty, but mostly what cracked was solid metal. That corner dropped really hard last time I wheeled it a few weeks ago, and I suspect that was the nail in the coffin. its still square and intact, just broken free.

How are some ways you guys with damaged leaf mounts got it fixed?

I'll probably end up picking up the poly performance mounts unless somebody has a better idea for something made from scratch. Perhaps something that doesn't rely on the floor for strength?

I thought about creating a mount out of 3/16ths or 1/4" that mounted an inch or so below the original point, so I would then have the added room needed to truss the mount to the top of the sub-frame sill eliminating the need for integrating it to the floor. Similar to what you see on the side of a truck frame, just much smaller. I understand it would then mount the front eye of the spring just below the edge of the sill, but thats a small price to pay IMO.

Oh, and I don't have the time, space, or finances to go "get a new shell" so, thats out of the question. At least for now.

Back