• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My fuel pump will not shut off??

bananaclip

NAXJA Forum User
I went through my xj today and cleaned all my electrical connections, put dielectric grease in and reconnected. Now my fuel pump will not shut off???? I replaced the fuel pump relay and that didn't help.

Always give BASICS--year/engine/trans/etc.

That said, power to the fuel pump relay is from the ignition switch, the energizing ground is from the ECU/PCM.

With the key off you are somehow getting power and a ground to the relay. Pull the relay, that should kill the pump. Key OFF, there should be no power to the socket.

I am sorry. I own a 2000 4.0 ho W/ aw4, 231. I have spoken to a few people and thay are telling me to take the fuel pump connection apart and clean out the dielectric grease then reconnect. I was told that the dielectric is possible causing a jump in circuit???

Dielectric grease is not a conductor of electricity, does not promote electrical contact and will not short connections. It lubricates and acts as a barrier to moisture and other corrosive agents.

Think about what else you did that might affect the flow of current such as washing the engine compartment. Consider each electrical connection you worked on that might lead to current flow to the fuel relay as described in Joe's post.

No on the crank sensor, it is just a signal generator that provides input to the PCM.

You need to determine where the power is coming from that is getting to the fuel pump. The fuel pump ground is back by the tank.

What happens if you pull ALL of the relays from the PDC?

Figured it out fellas! A small animal (chipmunk?) chewed some wires going into my fuse block. Simple fix, butt connectors with heat-shrink!!!!!

Did the little critter sing a song to you in a high-pitched voice? Was he wearing a sweater with a tiny "A" on the front?

Glad you got it fixed.

It's that time of year when the little critters are setting up winter quarters. I'd be putting some rat killer in my project vehicles so they're all in one piece with intact wiring and carpet padding come spring.

I just finished up an 88 XJ for my wife and she loves it. But, the other day she was driving along with me in the passenger seat complaing of an electrical burning smell. The heater was on low fan speed. My sniffer isn't that good, but I knew it wasn't electrical I smelled. Told her not to worry. About 30 seconds later, smoke starts coming out the heater and defroster vents and filling the cabin. She pulls off to the side of the road and pulls the hood release so I can do a quick inspection. Everything under the hood was okay but some smoke continued to pour out the vents and then suddenly quit.

Drove home for a more complete inspection and had no more smoke during the drive. A bit of ash was coming out though. What I found was a little mouse had started setting up camp in the blower fan. You can inspect that easily by gandering up under th passenger side dash with the HVAC controls set in the OFF position.

Stuck a vacuum cleaner nozzle in there and blew compressed air at the same time and was able to remove all the carpet padding the little turd had packed into the blower fan. Decided to pull the blower resistor and found the cause of the smoke. Some of the mouse's cache of carpet material had become dislodged from the blower fan and caught on the hot blower resistor and proceeded to burn.

Back