• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I disconnect the tie rod ends from where they mount by the rotors?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Pulling my front diff and this is what is hanging me up. I pulled the nut off with the pin through it and now I just have a stud sticking up. I banged on them with a hammer a bit but they didnt budge.

How is this done?

Thanks

A TRE press, or a pickle fork help a bunch. The press has the advantage that it won't ruin the balljoint rubber boot. Either either tool, once you put a little pressure on the stud, smack the knuckle close to the stud at 90 degrees to "shock" the joint and break it loose.

Whacking the threads with a hammer will probably screw them up... don't ask how I learned that.

I usually use my 3/8" ratchet's handle as a punch and give them a couple whacks with the 3lb hand sledge. They pop right out.

Whacking the threads with a hammer will probably screw them up... don't ask how I learned that.

I usually use my 3/8" ratchet's handle as a punch and give them a couple whacks with the 3lb hand sledge. They pop right out.
If you're going to hit the stud with a hammer, put the castle nut on upside down (flat surface is up,) with the stud recessed a couple of turns so that nothing is protruding, and you've got most of the threads engaged. Hit the nut, and not the stud.

Ok I got it off thanks guys. But now one of the studs turns freely inside the boot.

Did I break something?

I'm sorry, but I am going to be rude.

Put the bolts back in the cover before you hurt yourself. Grab your favorite beverage and the Service Manual ( I don't care if it;s a Haynes ), and read the thing.

If you have no idea how to remove a TRE, you shouldn't be asking this question on the web; you should be reading. Repairs/Modifications gets more complicated the further in you get, and there are some safety considerations to address.

Back