• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwrights + Ravines

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if these 30" Treadwrights will work ok with my Ravines which are 15x8 and debated 5 - 5.5" BS.

https://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/4/sename/30950r15-mud.aspx

The idea is that I can slap these on and have some aggressive tires and not have to really lift my Cherokee but trim a little bit. Have a capable wheeler for awhile until my wife has the baby in May and it'll be easier for her to get in the Jeep once I put the 3" lift on sometime after the baby...

Not planning on 'rock crawling'. Mainly winter driving, camping, forest trails and moderate trails.

Just curious if these 30" Treadwrights will work ok with my Ravines which are 15x8 and debated 5 - 5.5" BS.

https://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/4/sename/30950r15-mud.aspx

The idea is that I can slap these on and have some aggressive tires and not have to really lift my Cherokee but trim a little bit. Have a capable wheeler for awhile until my wife has the baby in May and it'll be easier for her to get in the Jeep once I put the 3" lift on sometime after the baby...

Not planning on 'rock crawling'. Mainly winter driving, camping, forest trails and moderate trails.

So, what was the subject of the debate? :rolleyes:

Just wanted to make sure an 8inch wide rim will be ok with that size tire...I'm not a pro with regards to what fits best on what kind of rim =)

I figured it'd work, and read some different places it works. it's more of a reassurance thing.

huh? and here i was sweating it thinking of running 31X10.5X15s on an 8 inch wheel. i know all the manufacturers recommend it, but any time i see it posted here, a bunch of people chime in saying never do it. so i totally understand your wanting the reassurance thing. i guess it all comes down to how low of air pressure you can run on the trails. keep em up and i suppose you'll be fine.

Ive been running my Ravines and 31 inch KM2 for about 6 months now. Vehicle specs are in the signature. I did have to adjust the steering stops other than that no rubbing or trimming.

I used to have 30x9.50's on 15x8 soft 8's. No problems at all other than they were a little more challenging to initially set the bead.

huh? and here i was sweating it thinking of running 31X10.5X15s on an 8 inch wheel. i know all the manufacturers recommend it, but any time i see it posted here, a bunch of people chime in saying never do it. so i totally understand your wanting the reassurance thing. i guess it all comes down to how low of air pressure you can run on the trails. keep em up and i suppose you'll be fine.

From TW's website that YOU linked to!

Diameter: 29.4" Max Inflation Pressure:
50 psi
Tread Width:
7.5" Rim Width Range:
7.5-8.5"

Tread Depth:
14/32" Sect Width:
9.4"
Max Load:
1,985 lbs
Meas Rim Width:
7.5"

Also, why do people worry so much about 8 inch wide rims? Why do people think with 31's and taller you need a 10 inch wide rim? I've seen guys run 37x13.50's on 8 inch wide rims with NO problems. 10" wide rims look stupid IMHO, especially on 31's or smaller.

From TW's website that YOU linked to!

Diameter: 29.4" Max Inflation Pressure:
50 psi
Tread Width:
7.5" Rim Width Range:
7.5-8.5"
Tread Depth:
14/32" Sect Width:
9.4"
Max Load:
1,985 lbs
Meas Rim Width:
7.5"

Also, why do people worry so much about 8 inch wide rims? Why do people think with 31's and taller you need a 10 inch wide rim? I've seen guys run 37x13.50's on 8 inch wide rims with NO problems. 10" wide rims look stupid IMHO, especially on 31's or smaller.

It sounds like the guy answered his own question and didn't know it! :D I agree about the 10" wide wheels, but i think anything under a 33 looks stupid on them.

no, actually its the other way around. alot of people say the 8" wheel is too WIDE for 31s. i've read time after time that if you want to run a 10.5" tire, you should run them on 7" wheels. ive seen this and noticed the tire tread quite rounded. but the reasoning is that the 7" wheel will hold the bead better when aired down on the trails. with my build i already have the wheels and they are 15x8 with a 3" backspace. i really didnt want to go bigger than 31/10.50 tires, but have been contemplating the 32/11.50s just for that reason. i dont want to remove the factory fender flares, but cutting the inside metal lip i dont have a problem with. i just like the factory style look. i think with the 4.5" lift i should be ok with either size tire. but i plan to re-gear with 4.10s. anyhow, this kind of explains the concerns that alot of people seem to have. just to clear up the confusion.

no, actually its the other way around. alot of people say the 8" wheel is too WIDE for 31s. i've read time after time that if you want to run a 10.5" tire, you should run them on 7" wheels.

That's even MORE retarded! If that were true, then why would they run a 31" tire on an 8" wide rim from the factory??? TJ Rubicons come with 245/75/16's which are 31" and about 9.8" wide, and the rim is a 16x8.

For purpose of airing down, a slightly narrower rim makes sense, otherwise doesnt matter much other than how far the wheel sticks out

May I suggest the other M/T's that treadwright offers, if your mainly using them in the street? There the ones that look like goodyear MTR's. Ive heard they have better street manners, and are the ones I plan on getting for my sisters GC.

Only reason I was planning on the 30's is because I don't really plan on 'lifting' anytime in the near future due to my wife being prego.

I like the 31 MTR knock offs though. If I can get those to fit w/little trimming and maybe a shackle out back and little spacer up front so the lift isn't too high I'd consider it.

Also, I could get 5 tires for the price of 4 pretty much... I like having a matching spare. Working on a budget so it makes it a little harder.

I saw the rim width suggestions on the site, it's just that they sometimes vary from site to site so wanted some 'real world' input =)

What do you mean 5 for the price of 4?

The 30's are 71 a pop, 89 a pop w/shipping. $445 for 5 30" shipped. Whereas 4 31" tires are about the same price w/shipping as 5 30" tires.

Just thinking 30s might be better since I don't really have to lift it and can still have a 'super stock' rig until I lift it later on down the road. Most i'll be lifting is 3" anyways. For what we wheel we don't need anything big =/

Right now i'm thinking more short term. The places we go are mainly forest trails, some minor trails, camping, winter travel and that's about it. No boulder humping here.

I may go 31's and try to just trim... a lot. Not sure yet. Decisions decisions

Back