• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem starting up

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 jeep cherokee, 4.0 aw4, 350xxxkms

so for the last couple months every once in a while I will turn the jeep on and it dies right away then i start it again and it runs perfectly fine.

in the last few days it has got alot worse, this morning it took me up to 10mins to get it to start. the jeep will keep running if I keep turning the key as soon as I take my hand off the ignition it dies. and i just keep trying until it runs.

any suggestions would be great

Thanks

#1. Always review tuneup hardware when symptomatic. Plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor.

#2. Assume there was no check engine light? If so, pull stored codes for guidance.

#3. I would do some fuel pressure testing. You will need a fuel pressure gauge (can be rented at parts stores) and a factory service manual outlining the procedure for best results.

its definetly not plugs wire distributor cap or rotor as they were replaced in the last few months and I checked them all..

i have a check engine light that comes on once in a while and it has been doing that for over a year

I was thinking it might have to do with fuel. I havent checked with a pressure gauge but I will be doing so soon

could it have anything to do with my ignition switch?

i have a check engine light that comes on once in a while and it has been doing that for over a year

NEVER ignore a check engine light. Your Jeep is trying to tell you something and the code that is stored in the computer might be the route to a good repair.

Use the technology provided to you by your Jeep. It is a better strategy than guessing.

Pull the code. You'll need a code reader or a scantool or some parts stores (autozone) will do this for you for free.

Post the EXACT code number here for comment.

Does it only not start when it is cold? If so, check the resistance of the temperature sensor. If it is not working correctly, the computer will not richen the mixture. It's like trying to start a carbureted engine without a choke.

Just for jollies, I'd pull a spark plug first to make sure they are not getting fouled out.

One other consideration, with the miles you have on your Jeep, is compression. I've seen low compression vehicles refuse to start when it gets cold outside. We verified fuel, spark, timing and it still wouldn't start. It took a hone and re-ring to get the compression back up and it ran good for a few more years. Check your compression on the cylinder that you pull the plug out of.

Key; key cylinder; ignition switch--too much slop there can give you the exact issue you have. I would consider checking/replacing the ignition switch.

Back