• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tailgate struts

BogdanR

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I just replace my tailgate struts with new Gates struts. The new struts take for ever to open, because of the shock observer function, were they slow down when they decompress. I hate it. I am a fan of those struts that try to hit you in the face as you open the back. Any idea which once are like that. I want my tailgate to fly open! :) or at least take less then 2 seconds to full open.

Any ideas?

- Bogdan

I bought a set from this ebay seller:

http://myworld.ebay.com/partsavenue

My hatch flies right open and has almost hit unsuspecting friends in the face, so they sound right up your alley.

2x..... I too just bought some tailgate struts from the same guy about two weeks ago. Decent price, quick shipping too. My tailgate also flies open. I've learned to stay back a step opening.... :scared:

But overall I'm really happy with them....

I did the struts on the ZJ, both sets, window and hatch, window got both wife and daughter in the face, not funny, the window has an electric release, the hatch is not quite as bad but almost, not sure of the brand, got all three sets for both the ZJ and the XJ from Car quest. The old ones would not even hold the hatch up.

hmmmmmmmm. I may have to get a set for the 98, the hatch on it is in training to be a ninja, it's getting real good at sneaking down behind me and whacking the #@%@ out of my head.

hmmmmmmmm. I may have to get a set for the 98, the hatch on it is in training to be a ninja, it's getting real good at sneaking down behind me and whacking the #@%@ out of my head.

I just picked up a set from Checker for $40 and while the hatch doesn't fly open, it doesn't take its time either. I too was tired of the ninja hatch. Once it got the wife, it was time to change the struts.

That partsavenue ebay seller linked above sells a pair for the 97+ for 24 bucks, soon as I get back to the east coast I'm gonna order a set and see how they go.

I just put a new pair of hatch struts in a couple weeks ago. Strong Arm is the brand. They work pretty well. They won't hit you in the chin as your trying to open the hatch. Paid 30 bucks for the pair at amazon.

Back