• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hazards light come on when turning left

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
When I put my left hand signal on the hazards lights come on instead. If I turn the hazards on and off from the switch quickly, I can get the left hand signal to work for one turn, but then the very next time I turn left it happens again.

I don't want to keep switching my hazards on and off every time I need to make a left.

you have a bulb bad. The dual filament bulbs, when a filament breaks can contact the other filament and feedback iirc.

When I put my left hand signal on the hazards lights come on instead. If I turn the hazards on and off from the switch quickly, I can get the left hand signal to work for one turn, but then the very next time I turn left it happens again.

I don't want to keep switching my hazards on and off every time I need to make a left.

You didn't mention the year of your XJ, but I'm gonna guess it's '97-up.

If this is the case, the flasher relay is going. It's possible that the indicator switch is the cause of this, but one seems to be kind of dependent on the other. Replace the flasher relay; if it continues after that, do the indicator switch.

FWIW, my 2000 likes to eat a flasher relay about every 18-24 months and exhibits the exact same symptoms when turning left (never right) every once in a while.

Agreed, its either the relay or the switch. The relay is cheaper so start there. If not, spend the $40 and replace the turn signal switch.

Thanks all it was just the Flasher. It was easy to find, I just followed the clicking noise it makes when the turn signal is on.

As stated it was under the bottom left hand side of the lower drivers side panel, I took the middle bottom panels off one plastic and one medal and was able to change it in five minutes.

Super easy thanks again for the help.

Back