• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog/driving lights

Zuul99

NAXJA Forum User
So my Jeep did not come with the optional fog lights, but i really want to put some driving lamps on. My fuse box has the Aux. lighting fuse, i believe i found the plug( is it the lone plug rt of the airbox). but i dont know were to send the wires. I image that this lone plug connects to the inside but i cant find another empty plug. So was jeep just smart by limiting the work i need to do for Aux lights? or do i need to drill into the fire wall.

When I purchased my '98 the Jeep didn't come with foglights.... and I needed to purchase the factory foglight harness, switch bezel and switch.
To make the foglights a factory installation; you will need to either locate a donor vehicle in the JY, see if its still available at the dealer (doubtful) or even contact JeepsAreUs at www.jeepsareus.com and see if they have the harness and switch in stock or just build your own harness.

I am sure between here, cherokeeforum, jeepforum, craigslist or ebay you could at the very least find a stock switch. Most light setups come with relay/wires/switch to install.
Probably better to run the wire that comes with the kit. And stock switch for the stock location unless you want to put it elsewhere.

Assuming you have a 97+, easy way to wire up lights to an OE switch. Last I looked the "dealer" fog kit was about $300. I have somewhere around $100 in mine, although I had a pile of terminals and shrinktube accumulating in my parts bins. Maybe 150 if you had to buy everything.

I wired mine up like this (not my drawing, found on JF, I think)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/fogWiringDiagram.jpg

Tapped into an empty key-on fuse in the cabin fuse box, wire to the relay passes through the grommet on the driver's side, near the column. Relay is mounted on the crossmember by the airbox, wires run directly to the lights from the relay. Shortest practical wire runs, no drilling required, simple and easily modified if needed.

It's worth noting that the relay in that diagram is not the typical 5 pin relay you see. Most of them are SPDT relays (Single pole double throw) not DPST (Double pole single throw). On a typical SPDT relay that diagram would cause the passenger light to be on when the switch is off, and the drivers side to come on when the switch is on ;)

It's worth noting that the relay in that diagram is not the typical 5 pin relay you see. Most of them are SPDT relays (Single pole double throw) not DPST (Double pole single throw). On a typical SPDT relay that diagram would cause the passenger light to be on when the switch is off, and the drivers side to come on when the switch is on ;)

agreed.

had some of the spdt's in my toolbox of parts and thought...its a 5 prong my delta kit has a 5 prong...it should work. LOL wrong.

Friend found the correct dpst relay at Advanced auto for $1.45 Woot!

You can use a Factory Fog Lamp switch or any switch you want, to do this:
standard.jpg

Back