• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hole in engine block?

johnfrog

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I just swapped my transmission, and when I was putting the starter back on I noticed a hole above the starter that appears to be in the block. It looks like a factory hole that used to be plugged but is no longer. Anyone know what this is for and how do I plug it again?

Also I twisted off the bolt of my old shift link, does anyone know what size it is?

1996 Cherokee Sport 4WD Auto

Thanks

It is hard to read you mind. Pictures would help.

it's factory from the casting, the starter covers it when installed

Jeff

On the shift link, you referring to the threaded piece that sticks out where the shift arm attaches? That's not a bolt and it requires some teardown to replace the shift rod. Or you cheat like I did and weld the shift on back on. :}

Jeff: I think there was some kind of rubber or plastic that was plugging it before but it disintegrated when I took off the starter. Do I need to plug it with anything? It seams like this hole would coat the starter in oil whenever the engine is running.

lawsoncl: Yes that threaded piece that sticks out where the shift arm attaches. My new transmission didn't come with a nut (the threads are still good though) and my old nut is rusted to my old threaded piece. I was wondering if anyone knew the size and tread before I went and bought a bunch of metric nuts...

Thanks!

Not sure if there would have been a plug there at one time, but I've been running my rebuilt 4.0 for 2+ years now with it unplugged and haven't had any issues:looney:

Jeff

lawsoncl: Yes that threaded piece that sticks out where the shift arm attaches. My new transmission didn't come with a nut (the threads are still good though) and my old nut is rusted to my old threaded piece. I was wondering if anyone knew the size and tread before I went and bought a bunch of metric nuts...
Thanks!

Parts catalog diagram shows the nut as an M8 x 1.25 thread

Back