• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injector Recommendations

Gonepostal

NAXJA Forum User
OK here is my dilemma. I want to replace the fuel injectors on my 98 4.0. The mechnics of this are no problem...piece of cake. In researching the injectors available though it's a candy store.

So here is my question. Who has upgraded and what has worked best? Sites, part numbers, brand names are what I am looking for along with pros and cons.

I will be happy to post up pics of the install when I get the work completed.

So here is my question. Who has upgraded and what has worked best?

I did the 0280155917 injector upgrade last Friday on my 2000 XJ. Here's what I can tell you I've noticed so far:

- Throttle response is much improved.

- Midrange torque seems better. Not night-and-day better, but some hills that were a downshift previously no longer are. The torque convertor seems to be less busy as well.

- Engine idles much more smoothly and is quieter.

As for the downsides, it's too early to say. I've only got about 130 miles on them so far, and the seat-of-the-pants improvement is definitely noticeable - but given that they replaced 160,000-mile injectors that had been in there from new just about anything would be better. As for fuel economy, the plan is to average that out over three tanks and see what kind of mileage improvements show up (if any). At this point, however, I have no regrets and don't anticipate that I will.

There are a lot of sources for the 0280155917 injectors. Google that part number, search it here, or plug it in to eBay and you'll find no shortage of suppliers. Shop around and you can find new ones at or close to the same price as refurbs.

One thing I'll add: before you tear into doing this, go to the dealer and get a new throttle body gasket; the Mopar part number for my year (which I believe covers '99, but double-check) was 53007543AB. I originally replaced it with one from Autozone which had substantially less surface area and thinner material; this led to an intake whistle which the OEM gasket cured. The price difference between the two is about a buck, so getting the 'real' one is definitely worth it.

I have a Renix, but I installed the orange top 19#'s and it idles better and mileage has improved.
I beleive 98 is the last year of the EV-1 connector? So anything from the orange/yellow tops to the neon 703 injectors should work for you. Only downside is that they cost money. Ha! Which depending on the price, is not that bad. I believe there are some on cherokeeforum that are selling sets of the neon injectors.
I picked up my orange tops for 55$/shipped for a set of 8.

Thanks all for the input.

Hey Joe a quick question regarding Rainman's chart. Would you recommend the Neon over the Ford? And, does Bosch make a direct replacement for my 98?

Thanks all for the input.

Hey Joe a quick question regarding Rainman's chart. Would you recommend the Neon over the Ford? And, does Bosch make a direct replacement for my 98?

Got your PM but I'll answer here too.

A great many Ford injectors are Bosch manufacture and you should be able to cross-reference the part numbers on the internet.

As far as Ford over Neon, no preference, but the Ford will likely be easier to locate and perhaps cheaper. And yes, there will be a Bosch direct part number, but it will likely cost more than the exact same part with Ford on it.

As for fuel economy, the plan is to average that out over three tanks and see what kind of mileage improvements show up (if any). At this point, however, I have no regrets and don't anticipate that I will.

Just following up to this...

I haven't quite run through three tanks yet; it's taking longer than I anticipated due to using other vehicles more than the XJ for various reasons. Having said that: I'll be restarting my measurements after this tank finishes due to other maintenance concerns coming to light around the time I filled up with the third tank - the air filter was clogged, spark plug gaps were out of spec, the tranny needs a flush, etc.

Right now I'm stuck in waiting-for-parts-to-arrive hell, but even with those basic items out of whack saw a roughly 1mpg improvement over two tanks (up to 14.5mpg from 13.5mpg). This is with typically 90% town driving in a vehicle with a lot of handicaps towards economy in terms of weight, additional drivetrain resistances, and aerodynamics, so I'm hopeful that that can come up to a solid 2mpg improvement after I take care of what it needs currently.

i just swapped neon 703 injectors into my 92.
they are great so far. i havent run much fuel through the jeep yet, but the idle smoothed a little, and it seems that i used less fuel on the 100 mile trip i just did, but hard to say, it was windy too.
anyways i figured it was worth it.
4 hole spray patter, and mine were original at 220,000 miles, so they atleast needed cleaning.

i cleaned the neon injectors as best as i could and then installed them.
oh also got o-rings at napa ill post the part number soon
you need 3 sets. (there are 4 o-rings per set)

Neon 2.0L 95-96 have 238cc (22.6 lb) injectors in it, 0280155703 (OEM
5277739).

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92236

fel pro orings at napa: FPG ES70599 again they are a set of 4 so for a jeep with the 4.0 you need 3 packs of these o rings.

Based on my own research online, the best Injector Option would seem to be the Bosch 0280-155-703 4-Hole design with the EV-6 case. That said, would it be advisable to use new, or re-manufactured injectors, or just go with ones sourced from the Junk-Yard (you DO get what you pay for, after all)? :dunno:

my junkyard ones are running great, i cleaned them out on my own, there is a video on youtube that i used. and they are working well.
highway mileage went up a little and in town is about; the same it seems, hard to tell with the winter gas...

Based on my own research online, the best Injector Option would seem to be the Bosch 0280-155-703 4-Hole design with the EV-6 case. That said, would it be advisable to use new, or re-manufactured injectors, or just go with ones sourced from the Junk-Yard (you DO get what you pay for, after all)? :dunno:

Shop around - your best bet is to Google the part number and see what turns up. I was able to find new ones on eBay for the same price as refurbs typically go for.

For my personal vehicles I grab salvage yard injectors and run some BG44K through the fuel system.

Customers get their choice, refurb or new, they almost always choose the refurb.

Yeah, looking at e-bay, I found reman'd Bosch 4-hole replacements listed for $90 a set on PerformanceEFI's store page...might just be what the doctor ordered for my '91 Laredo...hmmm.

Yeah, looking at e-bay, I found reman'd Bosch 4-hole replacements listed for $90 a set on PerformanceEFI's store page...might just be what the doctor ordered for my '91 Laredo...hmmm.

I've never dealt with that dealer--but I do think I saw a pretty bad review from another NAXJA forum user. Yeah, here is that thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1050579

I have used lucky7autoinjectors on ebay a few times without any issues.

It's so easy to contact www.painjection.com and get a set of the correct, updated, refurbed, flowmatched injectors with new o-rings shipped to your door very quickly. Under discount code on check-out, type "jeep" and get 10% off as a NAXJA member. I've installed 2 sets with excellent results and I'm ordering up another set for my newest project.

Yeah, I've read that post, but I've also read the ratings/reviews for PerformanceEFI on E-Bay & the Positives far out-weigh the Negatives (782+ versus 2-) & I'm inclined to think the poster of that thread may have not been the best customer he could have been. Also, there is supposed to be a Lifetime Warranty on the Reman'd Bosch injectors PerformanceEFI sells anyway, so I'm inclined to go along with the majority on this one. As I've already just ordered my set of six Bosches from that seller, I'll keep you guys posted on how things turn out with the set. We'll see how good/bad/indifferent PerformanceEFI's product quality really is. Of course, I'll wait on leaving Feedback until the injectors are in & have been test-driven. Hopefully the positives will still out-weigh the negatives in regards to my own results...

Last edited:
I gave up on the orange tops in my 90, I swapped in the stock replacements yesterday and said bye-bye to the heat soak issues.

The Ford injectors did give me a better idle and slightly better throttle response but with the same mileage as the OEM replacements I had in there before the swap.

I've never dealt with that dealer--but I do think I saw a pretty bad review from another NAXJA forum user. Yeah, here is that thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1050579

I have used lucky7autoinjectors on ebay a few times without any issues.

So far I've not had the problems with the fuel injectors from PerformanceEFI's that the thread poster had, so I think his problem was a Once-In-A-Blue-Moon occurrence.:dunno:

As I've said in another post, the injectors really seem to be working as they should & don't appear to be causing any trouble at this point.:woohoo:

In fact, in spite of Washington State having Manditory E10 in all gasoline service station pumps & our gasoline formula being the "Winter Blend", I'd say there seems to be some improvement in overall MPG.:yelclap:

Of course, it's still too early to absolutely tell for sure, as I've only driven my Pride & Joy a few times since installing the New-For-My-Vehicle injectors & resetting the ECU's Adaptive Memory.:dunno:

I'll know for sure within the next few weeks, once I've finished the 50 or so Drive-Cycles necessary for the ECU to adapt to the new parts.:lecture:

Just installed a set of the 2000 model Dodge Stratus 0280155703 injectors in to my 1996 ZJ 4.0 Liter.

Direct swap. I even used my original o-rings which were still soft and pliable. No leaks. Started up easy and took just a few seconds to clear out and adjust to a good idle.

Back