• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeek while turning

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I have a squeek while turning, it changes depending on vehicle speed and as far as I can tell its always there, though I haven't been able to hear it over 35 most likely due to wind noise overpowering it. Going straight there's no noise, doesn't matter if turning right or left either. Don't know where to start looking. Thanks.

2000, 4.0, AW4, 231 all stock.

Could be in the steering column.

Got a really, really, really good friend willing to put their head down there while you drive in circles?

Could be your axle U-Joints. Poke your head down there and see if they look like they are emitting a rusty colored dust or if they have any amount of play in them.

Could be in the steering column.

Got a really, really, really good friend willing to put their head down there while you drive in circles?

Haha, unfortunately no. That's another reason why its a bit hard to figure out what it is. I haven't seen any other symptoms that something is wrong aside from the squeek either.

I will look at the ujoints tomorrow.

Ujoints looked fine to me.

009xg.jpg

Is there some way I could check the steering column?

Have a small recorder--digital or tape--you can duct tape it in different positions up and down the column and drive in left and right circles, relocate the recorder, repeat until you catch a recording of the squeak, or eliminate the column as a possible source.

i'd pull the rotors off and check the backing plates, mine made an annoying speak in parking lots and it was one of the rotor brake sheilds touching the inside off the rotor. easy fix if thats it.

Back