• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mass evap

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
i got a mass evap leak.how fast does this need to be taken care of and how bad is it to drive around with?my heep is falling apart.
01 xj 4.0 aw4 np231

It's your gas cap....... no kidding. My ex lost the cap off my TJ and it CEL that code. Then I went through several caps that would leak over time. I have an 01' Dodge Dakota that has the same issue. I am too cheap to replace the cap.

The evap system vents fuel tank fumes back into the int manifold to burn. I think the canister on an 01 is underneath back by the fuel tank. Check the lines and canister. Any break can result in the large leak code.

You also have a purge solenoid up on the firewall near the heater core connections. It should normally click repeatedly.

If you can spot anything visually, you'll need to smoke test it.

Do you show any other codes?

Heat soak is normally a misfire on cylinder 3.

Random misfires on the distributorless ignitions often indicates coil packs with small heat/stress cracks that are firing to ground.

At night, start engine and let it warm up. No lights on, use a spray bottle to mist the coil pack area--watch for an electrical light show.

The vac lines to the cannister get alot of abuse and very little attention. Both my Jeeps had dry, crumbly and cracked hoses. Trace the lines, replace for $2. Test, and/or replace soleniod. I had to replace the rollover valves on my tank.

Even though your cap tested OK, if it's over 2 years old, drop $10-15 on a NEW one.

Smoke testing can be done by you if you'll allow tobacco (or whatever smokable) to touch yor lips. Get a big ol' stogy and take a draw, blow into one end of any vac line. Got smoke, got a leak. Replace line

Dam joe did you desigine the xj or just build them from scratch!you have been very help full.

Gawd no, don't blame me for the design of our beloved XJs!

I did, however, spend a couple of my formative years summers stripping and busting up cars in a salvage yard.

My 51 Plymouth had such bad blow by the whole engine was constantly wet with oil. After driving on a particular rainy winter day in CA it wasn't running very well so I whipped it into the service bay at our station, popped the hood, and saw a most fascinating display of electrical arching all over the entire engine. Grabbed a soda and a candy bar and just sat and watched it for while--looked like something out of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory.

No, you should be fine, but if you are concerned wear a glove and rubber soled shoes.

I could tell you about the incident with a Volvo spark plug wire, my hand, the zipper in my trousers and a ground to fender, but it isn't a pretty story so I shall keep it to myself.

Back