• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ headers, Recommendations???

Redxj5150

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking on ebay for a decent header. Looking for the best bang for the buck. I have an Edelbrock on there now that's very similar to the most common style found on ebay. It is completely cracked around the collectors. Good for HP, but my computer doesn't know what to make of the situation.

I was liking the dynomax duel exhaust header. Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share about this duel exhaust style?

I wish I was on a gibson header budget, but 400 dollars for a header is out of the equation.

Doug Thorleys are up there in price. I have been considering the Clifford Performance dual outlet headers. Seems all the headers on this vehicle are going to crack if the motor mounts are bad. Mine are, which is why my Gibson headers are now cracked in several places. Next time I am putting a vibration joint in the exhaust. Fairly inexpensive compared to what you get out of them.

Doug Thorleys are up there in price. I have been considering the Clifford Performance dual outlet headers. Seems all the headers on this vehicle are going to crack if the motor mounts are bad. Mine are, which is why my Gibson headers are now cracked in several places. Next time I am putting a vibration joint in the exhaust. Fairly inexpensive compared to what you get out of them.

http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/p...JEEP/model/CHEROKEE/sfID1/9/sfID2/35/sfID3/31 yeah kinda up there $723 and don't ask why it says NISSAN.

and where do you get this Vibration Joint you speak of?

IIRC my Doug Thorley was around $400 from [email protected]. Their support is pretty bad and from what I have seen everyone has an "attitude" according to them. I wouldn't use them again.

I think the best route is the e-bay APN header and a flex joint as mentioned by Joe_peters. I have considered hard mounting my exhaust system from the flex joint back because of recurring rattles and also to get it up higher. I have heat shields on the cat and muffler that I made from fiberglass cloth and cookie sheets. They work very well. I had to replace almost the whole passenger floor board because of heat induced rust. If I had the money, I would line the whole underside with a ceramic type of undercoating or paint to further protect it from heat.

Go with the expansion chambrr one on ebay i run it on both my jeeps. 110 shipped and much better quality then the brand name stuff that cracks after a year. Its money well spent.

I was talking to someone about adding one of those flex sections and they had heard that they burn through in a relatively short time.
Has anyone had this problem with them??
Thanks

I was talking to someone about adding one of those flex sections and they had heard that they burn through in a relatively short time.
Thanks
The one I have is like an accordian style that was stock on a RX-7 and it has held up fine for 3+ years. I don't know how well the steel braided type hold up.

Thanks
I have the Clifford headers and used the stainless flex joint and it lasted a few months. the inside came apart and blocked the exhaust. I got rid of it after that. and go with a single outlet header, less room required to route exhaust.

ok, just the thread i was looking for, and its fresh! SYeager when did you install yours? how has it held up? I'm on cracked header #3 (all stock ones cause I'm cheap), and I'm still not certain what is causing this. Motor mounts are good, Hangers are ok, (manifold #2 I chalk up to a high center), so I'm left with heat? Poor design? dunno. Are the factory stainless any better?

I'm on cracked header #3 (all stock ones cause I'm cheap)

you're using used stock headers? well theyre obviously going to crack regardless of how good your motor mounts or hangars are.

i had no issues with my APN with over 20k miles on my last XJ. i'm saving it bc it's going on my current one when the time comes.

HAH.... factory stainless ones suck. That's why everyone is replacing them. The crack right at the collector NOTORIOUSLY.

I vote APN. Buddy's got one on his '89 for two years now. Now flex pipe, no cracks, no problems whatsoever. I'll be putting one on my rebuild motor when it goes back in the Jeep.

I just bought a set of APN headers. I went with them cause they had the best feedback and were just about as cheap as you can get. I like simple, smart and effective. Great deal. So great, I sent them to JetHot for ceramic coating. Arrived to my door, right around 400 bucks. Going to start a build thread... Got some good info to share!!

well that one certainly is positive. See the edelbrock is exactly like the apn. that's why i was steering away from this. I wouldn't go full dual if I got the dual drop header. I don't have any broken motor mounts. I wish I had time to fix this but I'm going camping tomorrow in the ol' dove. Hopefully no problems on the way up to sequoia.

Back