• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Vacuum Canister

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed that my XJ does not have the vacumm canister on it. I looked at another 2001 and it's black plastic round ball mounted behind the bumper on the passenger side. The line was poorly capped and creating a bad vacuum leak. That vacuum line runs into the intake manifold. I put a new cap on it and no more leak. What effect would this leak have on the Jeep and should I replace the canister?

If you have cruise control then it won't work.Thats about it.Also works the HVAC system.It allows you to change between defrost, dash and floor.If you don't fix it then it will automatically default it to defrost.

HVAC and cruise control work and have worked just fine. I was wondering more about drivability issues and gas mileage since it's an intake manifold vacuum leak.

You plugged it, no problema.

HOWEVER, under a heavy load your vacuum available to the HVAC system will drop off and your HVAC system will default to defrost.

Be ready for, it will happen.

Back