• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seafoam... the BS frontier

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So obviously i want opinions b/c straight facts never come into play. Does seafoam work to clean out the manifold? if so what is the best vacuum line to use? I am at 104,000 and just looking for shit to do to my car on the weekends... little tinker shit... i am the typical man

I would say yes it does work.

I don't use a vacuum hose, i just take of the intake boot and pour it right in the throttle body, don't know if that is any better or worse but still seems to work just fine.

You could use BG 44K instead but there's no tinkering involved. Just pour it in to a full tank and drive til it's almost empty. I've Seafoamed and followed up a bit later with 44K on 2 Jeeps now and the driveability improvement goes hands down to 44K. Cleans injecotrs, manifolds and the back sides of the valves. No tinkering though. Maybe you could wash and wax instead?

There is nothing overly magically about the ingredients. The Seafoam is naptha, alcohol, and mineral oil. The BG 44k is mineral spirits, naptha, and a light mineral oil. If you taco cheap, just grab some naptha or acetone at the hw store and mix up your own.

Give how many people have posted that it works and my own experience, I'd say it does help on a cruded up engine.

I wouldn't pour a bottle of it in anywhere. If your looking for something to tinker with I like the wash and wax idea much better.

If you want to clean out engine carbon(the main people use sea foam) just research how to do it with plain old water.

it works just did it last weekend and made a noticable inprovment but do not just pour it down the intake you dont want that stuff any where near your mass air flow senore just take the vacume line from the brak booster pour a thirs of the bottle down that line and a third in the tank andf the rest in the oil and get ready for the best smoke show ever i filled about 2 blocks full of white smoke and make sure to take it for a good drive after doing this and make sure you go WOT some times to burn it all off good luck and have fun deffinatly worth doing it in my opinion

seafoam works, but it's no 'as seen on tv' miracle.... i use my brake booster vacuum line.

I agree. It does work on an engine that hasn't been maintained. If things are good and the engine has been maintained properly, there may be no need.

I use the brake booster vacuum line for introducing it.

It does have a strong "stoddard solvent" that can help reduce carbon.

seafoam works, but it's no 'as seen on tv' miracle.... i use my brake booster vacuum line.

I guess I'm with Cruiser54 and XCM on this one, either the brake booster hose or straight down the throttle body. Those would give you the most coverage of the intake manifold's guts.

I would expect to change spark plugs after the Seafoam, and I would definitely run BG44K through the fuel tank to clean the system--that stuff isn't a "miracle in a can", but close to it, real close.

it works just did it last weekend and made a noticable inprovment but do not just pour it down the intake you dont want that stuff any where near your mass air flow senore just take the vacume line from the brak booster pour a thirs of the bottle down that line and a third in the tank andf the rest in the oil and get ready for the best smoke show ever i filled about 2 blocks full of white smoke and make sure to take it for a good drive after doing this and make sure you go WOT some times to burn it all off good luck and have fun deffinatly worth doing it in my opinion

No MAF sensor, only a MAP sensor. (IIRC)

Had good luck with BG 44k. Last I checked it was around $20 for the can though.

I guess I'm with Cruiser54 and XCM on this one, either the brake booster hose or straight down the throttle body. Those would give you the most coverage of the intake manifold's guts.

Something I'll add to this: pull the idle air sensor and use its hole to fog out the intake manifold. This is what I do in addition to the throttle body and brake booster - while I've never had occasion to pull the intake manifold and inspect it, I figure that fogging it can't hurt and probably helps to dislodge whatever crud has built up in there.

I would expect to change spark plugs after the Seafoam

To be perfectly honest, I've never had a measurable issue with spark plugs, oxygen sensors, or the cat after doing a Seafoam, even when I still lived in smog-Nazi California. Plugs get changed around every 30,000 miles and oxygen sensors about every 50,000 as a matter of course, and I Seafoam the crankcase, intake, and fuel system about twice a year. Plugs look about as expected at the random times I've taken them out.

If you don't wanna pi$$ off your neighbors, use 44K.

Or just don't do it where you know it will piss off your neighbours.

C'mon - it's not like it takes effort to drive a few minutes out of their way.

Seafoam has out a fogger now i saw last week.

I have run it in 2 stroke outboards for years and if it can decarbon those it will clean out most anything.
On any vehicle I plan on keeping a while I run 1 can per fillup 3 or 4 times in a row and then once a month run one can thru it.

Seafoam has out a fogger now i saw last week.

Good point - I noticed that they've changed their cans.

Thing I don't get, though, is that the Deep Creep always was a fogger - you just had to use it the right way. The pour-down stuff wasn't in that category.

Back