• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Question

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
Awhile back I installed new pads and rotors on my 90 XJ inline 6. I seem to remember that the person I bought them from said they were the brand of pads that originally came with the car.

Anyway the problem is I am getting quite a bit of squeaking and when I jacked it up to take a look I noticed there is a good bit if drag when trying to turn the wheels by hand. So I remember when I put the pads on they came with these little shims in varying sizes for the tops of the pad backing plate, the part that comes in contact with the metal frame. And stupid me didn't think they were needed and threw them away. Now I noticed that there is a bit if play up and down in the pads. Could this be the cause of the squeeking and if so will this cause any other problems?

I went to two parts stores and they don't carry any such shims. They said I would have to go to the dealer. Or should I just get new pads to fix the problem?

both of my xj's had no such shims on them either, my ranger had bad brake drag and it was due to toast calipers. for my ranger they were only 30 bucks for the set with the core, and 40 a set for the xj with the core last i looked

Back