• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light, got codes

hizzo3

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i did the igition trick to get my codes on my 96 xj 2.5L with 120k. I got a code 12 (i did this as a reset after i put in new O2 sensors) which i know is the battery disc code. Then i got a 24, TPS? I read you can check it with an ohm meter, and also a volt meter.... anyone have the spec readings on this? is it listed in my Haynes? I also got an odd code 56? not sure what in the world that is...

Thanks ya'll

this site has been so much help so far

hizzo3 said:
ok, i did the igition trick to get my codes on my 96 xj 2.5L with 120k. I got a code 12 (i did this as a reset after i put in new O2 sensors) which i know is the battery disc code. Then i got a 24, TPS? I read you can check it with an ohm meter, and also a volt meter.... anyone have the spec readings on this? is it listed in my Haynes? I also got an odd code 56? not sure what in the world that is...

Thanks ya'll

this site has been so much help so far

I've got listings of the OBD-I and OBD-II codes on my site in the "Tech Archive" section (link in my sig.) Your 1996 should be OBD-II.

TPS function can be checked with an ohmmeter (use an analogue - a digital will "skip" due to buffer circuits built into the meter) and you can verify adjustment - but I don't have my FSM handy to tell you how. Use a digital to check voltages - it's going to be steadier, and give you more resolution (since you set one voltage WRT the other as a percentage, accuracy is important. You should, eventually, have both analogue and digital multi-meters in your toolbox, and I think Sears still carries a "digilogue" - it's got a sweep needle face with an inset digital display. I got on years ago as a "carry-around" unit, and it works well.)

Perhaps someone who is closer to their FSM will chime in with the TPS adjustment process - I won't be able to get to mine for another week or so...

5-90

Back