• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where does the flex joint go?

7bars4me

NAXJA Forum User
In doing research on control arms, it seems some manuf put them at the axle end of the LCA, some at the frame end. Are there pros and cons to either way, or does it really not matter?

I don't think it really matters... that being said I would put whatever joint does not have a grease zerk at the axle end, and preferably put the grease zerk on the top side of the joint at the body end if there is enough clearance to get a gun on it.

A lot of people put the rubber end on the frame side to cut down on vibes and such. Unless you go radius arm then the rubber bushings need to be at the axle end.

A lot of people put the rubber end on the frame side to cut down on vibes and such. Unless you go radius arm then the rubber bushings need to be at the axle end.
Not being a smartass here, just don't quite understand. How does which side the rubber/poly bushing is on make a difference in noise/vibration? I would think as long as its in one end, doesn't matter which. Or am I missing some reason why it would be more effective at the axle end?

Maybe that's what I have a clunk now. Joint on body side..

Typically in a short arm setup with one end rubber/poly and one a flex joint, the flex joint goes at the axle side.

Depends on the actual design/brand of the arm maybe? I have the rubicon SF lowers and RE says to put the flex joint on the axle...I tried the other way and it didn't look right. I also have the Teraflex upper flexarms and Tflex says to put the flex joint at the frame end. It all works just fine but I would have to agree with the rubber at the frame will absorb/lessen any noises/clunks created by the flex joints at the axle.

I have the RC lowers and the flex is supposed to be on the body side...might explain some clunks. But then the Iron Man arms have em at the frame. I guess it depends on the manufacturer.

Back