• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FINALLY GOT ANOTHER JEEP

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
K so after looking for forever I picked up a 1990 white 4 door cherokee with grey interior and alarm with auto locks and start. 4.0, AW4, np231. Completely strait body and decent interior and perfect paint except a good size surface rust spot on the hood. Easy to paint. Anyways its been seating for AT LEAST 3 years and the guy said the tranny wasnt working properly, he has mounted a temp gauge and said he had problems with the AW4 over heating as well. After picking it up I recall him saying that he swapped the radiator for a new one about 2 months before he had problems. I havent looked but I think he didnt replumb the cooler and radiator correctly for the trans. Anyway, my question is. Ive never started a vehicle after sitting that long. I know there is a possiblity of seal damage and need to know what proper precautions to take before firing it up to avoid any further damage to the engine.

Chris,

Im sure you already know this, but make sure you change out all the fluids, fuel filter, etc. I would put Stabil in the tank if there is old fuel in there and also fill with fresh gas.

My biggest worry wouldnt be the seals but instead the main/rod bearings.

Good thing you have that stroker in your other rig:greensmok

Alright sounds like a plan. I also posted up in oem and did a little searching, put some oil in the cylinders and such, crank a couple time without spark to prime the oil pump. Mostly stuff I already firgured but just wanted to check bases and im also excited about the new jeep so I had to post something up! :party:

This is actually probably gonna be more my girls DD/company poser rig. Maybe build a stroker for it later so it can tow hopefully another XJ to the hills.
I actually honestly had some problems with that stroker when I first built it, torqued everything exactly to spec when I probably shoulda went a few LBS over being a stroker and extra vibration from offroading or something. I ended up throwing the #1 cylinder saddle and rocker after a bolt spun loose. Im pretty sure I blew a valve seal cause I hadnt checked the oil and a week later it was bone dry. :mad: That was like a month after building it. I"ve been driving and wheeling it but before a take the time to swap it into another rig im going to go through everything. I started getting valve noise so Im pretty sure I wore down the cam pretty bad.

Mine wasn't sitting for as long as yours but I replaced the valve cover gasket aswell as new oil and instead of oil I put in tranny fluid into the cylinders and started it since tranny fluid is a lot smoother than oil.

Yea got it fired up! I was worried at first cause it didnt start after twenty seconds of cranking after I put the plugs back in. Then saw I wasnt getting any fuel. Pulled the pump out and the interior hoses were completely falling apart. They had become some sort of black mush tar like crap. Took the one off my blue jeep and it started right up. I put a decent amount of oil in the cylinders and it may have been a wee bit too much. Lots of blue smoke flew out the exhaust then it just turned to grey (all the bad fuel). Emission light is on even after I topped the tank off with shell v power gas but I think it might still be the bad gas. There was a slice in one of the tranny lines going to the cooler realized thats why the tranny was slipping so I patched it up with a piece of tubing and topped of the trans. It seems like its still slipping a little and the damage was already done when he ran it low on fluid. Either that or I havent driven a stock jeep with a standard 4.0 for a while so it seems like its reving higher before it shifts than it actually does. Either way, Im excited and should be posting pics tomorrow.

sweet. im gona have to come over soon and check it out, and get my parts i orderd lol

Yea man, they are sitting here. Any timeis fine.

it's a '90, isn't the emissions light just a reminder that's driven by a timer so you remember to replace the O2 sensor?

That could be a possiblity. It has 215,000 on it. Ill probably just throw some electrical tape over the light. lol jk

Most people I know just rip the stupid timer out. You're *supposed* to go to the dealership and buy a new timer, but who the hell is gonna do that on a 20 year old car when it's just a nagminder anyways?

DSCN2718.jpg

DSCN2717.jpg

DSCN2716.jpg

DSCN2715.jpg

DSCN2714.jpg

Going down to my sticker guy soon to get bright pink Froehlich Suspension Tech sticker put on it. :cool:

Looks good!! even with the pink...........

its hot pink lol...not bright pink lol...learn your pinks man!!

It's not pink it's Salmon!

Grats on the new rig, She's purdy.

lol whatever works, its just a name. pink non the less. It does kind of look salmon in these pics and I still need to paint over the orange, but it is definitely hot pink. It freakin almost glows at night! lol The woman wanted to put pink neon lights under it and call them "rockin lights" instead of rock lights. :rolleyes:

lol whatever works, its just a name. pink non the less. It does kind of look salmon in these pics and I still need to paint over the orange, but it is definitely hot pink. It freakin almost glows at night! lol The woman wanted to put pink neon lights under it and call them "rockin lights" instead of rock lights. :rolleyes:

I saw a a rig at the Rubicon with color changing "rock lights" Form>function ftw.

pink is good!

Back