• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear DANA 44 Upgrade

BobCSmith

NAXJA Forum User
New to the Jeep Cherokee, Recently picked up a 91 Cherokee.
I read alot about swapping out to a rear DANA 44. Excuse my stupidity here but what is the reason for doing this and what are the benefits?
What is usually involed in the switch?

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
BobCSmith said:
New to the Jeep Cherokee, Recently picked up a 91 Cherokee.
I read alot about swapping out to a rear DANA 44. Excuse my studidity here but what is the reason for doing this and what are the benefits?
What is usually involed in the switch?

Thanks
Bob

the reason: the danaturdie5 isnt the best axle...in most peoples opinions...the dana 44 is stronger, and has more potential

what is involved with the switch? not much, as long as you get everything with your new 44, ie the ebrake cables and drums...you can swap it in no time, good luck finding one! its a fun hunt! :D

You might have to regear the D44, some are 3.55 and some are 3.07.

You can find them under 87-89 Xj's, 1 ton MJ's and some Grand Wagoneers. The last two would require moving the leafspring mounts.

The last option would be 8.8 Explorer axle, disc brakes 95' and later, not bolt on, welding brackets and such is required.

There are other axles out there, but then you have to contend with wheel bolt patterns and such.

The Dana 44 was an optional upgrade for some XJ/MJ's through the years. It is a pretty strong, very common axle that lends well to modifications and has many aftermarket parts such as gears, lockers, etc. (sometimes much cheaper than other axles)

Most XJ/MJ's came with the D35 or Chrysler 8.25 axle underneath. While these axles will work just fine for normal driving and moderate 4 wheeling, some people who prefer to run large tires, steep gears, etc prefer the D44. It is the axle of choice for some, but other more hardcore Jeepers prefer to go even stronger.

Hope this Helps

John

ya man, they are tough to find. look on ebay. i found two at local podunk junk yards. got one for a hundred and the other for one-fifty. all it is to them is another cherokee rear end. if only they knew....

p.s. the deal with dana 35c's is that they are a c-clip design, meaning that if you snap a shaft on the trail, your tire and the broken off part of the axle its still attached to will take a vacation from the rest of the vehicle for a while :D

How about that places name and phone#???????

If you're new you might want to spend your money elsewhere. Some careful drivers can do pretty hard trails with 32s and 33s on a dana 35 without breaking them. Replacement shafts pop up on here and on Ebay for 30 or so dollars. If you start routinely breaking axles, or break it once and don't like the feeling, then spend the $$$ for a better axle.

On that note there is a DD cherokee with a 44 in my town that I see all the time. Trying to think of a way to get the owner to swap or something.

Back