• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear d35 help

filterbiz

NAXJA Forum User
ok this is what the tag says on the rear axle
help me with what i have i want a locker but they needed this info, these are the numbers on it and i need to know what gears and open or limited slip. WHAT AM I WORKING WITH HERE????????

8953005173 3 55 605389-6

thanks as usual

also how do i know what trans and transfer case i have? 88 xj 4.0 auto has full time 4x4 mode on selector

Last edited:
The only thing that makes sense in that is 3.55 which seems to be your gear ratio which is very common in automatic cherokees. It should be a a 242 transfer case if it has full time and AW4 trans. I am not sure what axle is in the rear but it is a dana 30 up front. as for the rear, if it is an oval shape but NOT flat on the bottom, it is a Dana 35. If it is an oval shape but is flat on the bottom, it is a Chrysler 8.25 27 spline. If it is different than that, it is possibly a dana 44. and it is most likely an open diff. post up pictures and we can tell you for sure

DONT DO IT IF YOU HAVE A D35

X2^

Not sure what type of traction device you are looking at, but if you are considering a full locker such as the Detroit; you better invest in a few spare axles...
The D35 is known to snap axles when you combine a locker with tires larger than 32s....

According to your number it is a Limited-Slip w/ 3.55's!

If it were me.... I would save my money and pick up a used Corp 8.25 with 29 spline axles.
They are available in the JY and members are selling them when they upgrade their rear differentials.
You should be able to purchase one for $100-200.

DONT DO IT IF YOU HAVE A D35
...or this might happen...
lhcpi.jpg

Since we haven't had this one posted in quite some time... Peruse this tribute to the Dana 35c before deciding if you really want to put a locker in one.

(I ran a D35 with factory Trac-Lok LSD for a year in moderate wheeling on 31s. It should hold up fine to that level of use; just don't push it too hard.)

if you dont have ABS its plug and play.

if you want a locker, and since you apparently have limited slip in the rear, id suggest locking your 30 and praying the rear holds up until you find a 8.25, D44, or 8.8 to replace it with.

Since we haven't had this one posted in quite some time... Peruse this tribute to the Dana 35c before deciding if you really want to put a locker in one.

(I ran a D35 with factory Trac-Lok LSD for a year in moderate wheeling on 31s. It should hold up fine to that level of use; just don't push it too hard.)

The Kenny Rogers is perfect....

I'll throw in my OPINION here;
Do you get stuck often? If you have the limited slip and it's working properly, you should be fine for now, unless you are getting stuck when in 4 w.d.
Since you have the 242 transfer case with full time 4x4, if you put in a front locker you will loose the on street full time ability.

For me ('89, AW4, 242, D35) I've got a 29 spline 8.25 sitting in the driveway waiting to replace the D35 before I get serious off road. I'll probably add a PowerTrax Limited Slip also because I've had good luck with one in the 2 w.d. '96 on the street and in the dirt for the last 30k miles.

Mike

another vote for don't touch the d35... at the most, what you should do is buy a 97 or later (or late 96 but make sure it's 29 spline, they are a crapshoot) corp 8.25, install a locker of your choice in it, pack all tools required to change the axle on the trail including brake bleeding materials... then weld the 35 and have a ball till it blows up!

one of the MWC guys did this, he went to winterfest '10 with a spare rearend and changed it out on his trailer at the campground after exploding his turdy5. I think it was 95' heep.

fixed it for ya, you are welcome!
::cough:: $1600 that couldve been spent much better ::cough:: =)))

I only post in these threads so you guys can continue to ridicule me...:anon:

^that is from 90% street miles(on 33's) over maybe 3 years...I broke it trying to pass an MTA bus...

I broke the one before that STOCK, 100% street miles at maybe 60k?

Back