• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow tire leak

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a set of used BFG Mud Terrains and one has a Very Slow leak. 10 lbs over night if it sits just right. I would take it to the tire shop to get it fixed except one problem. One lug is missing part of it and a small piece of belt wire is showing thru. I know as soon as they see that they won't touch it. I don't think that is where the leak is though because half of the lug is still there and that is basically the thickest part of the tire.
Any suggestions on how to stop the leak ? I wheel it mostly and the rest of the tire is in great shape. I'm not going to buy a new tire or I would of just bought a new set.
Is fix a flat a really bad idea or that slime shit ? I air down quite a bit when I wheel it.
Thanks

got a big basin you can put water in? Dunk the tire and look for air
Slime stuff is no good, and wouldn't seal a bead leak anyway.

87manche said:
got a big basin you can put water in? Dunk the tire and look for air
87manche said:
Slime stuff is no good, and wouldn't seal a bead leak anyway.

Yeah I've thought about that, but these are 35s. I will have to imprevise I guess. I have an Old luggage carrier I could probably fill with water. It is white though. Bubbles may be hard to spot. I'm blind in one eye and about 20/70 in the other. 2 pairs of reading glasses I guess. You know the old saying "Blind in one and and can't see out the other"
That's me ! :D

I use the soapy water method. I use a couple drops of dish soap and water shook up in a squirt bottle. The bubbles are bigger than you think. Make sure you spray around your valve stem with the cap off.

take the tire to a tire shop, have em dunk it. That shouldnt be a problem. Find your leak then tell us where it is and i can tell you how to safely, and permantley fix it. (I work at discount tire.) fix-a-flat sucks, it eats the paint off of our machines, the clear coat off of our floors and will eat clearcoat/chrome off of wheels. Plus, it ruins air sensors. We throw away almost every Gm, ford, Chryco, MB, BMW, lexus air sensor that has had FaF through it. they no longer work right. It stinks, it makes a horrible mess, it flat out sucks.

As far as fix-a-flat goes, DO NOT USE IT. PERIOD, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!! (See exception/rules of FaF use below)

Fix-A-flat shuld be used, and only when these exact conditions are met.
1) you have used your spare and now it has a flat/blew up/is no longer safe to use.
2) you can not get ahold of anyone to come pick you and the damaged tire up.
3) there is no available tow service for hours and it will be dark in 30 min.
4) you are in the middle of no where, literly. 10+ miles from a town. if less than 10mi, start walking.
5) it is a last ditch, I have exahusted all other options and have 100%, absolutley no other choice. option.
6) use it per stated directions, drive to a tire shop and have your tire fixed.

Last edited:
Back