• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Cooling Lines

00xj54

NAXJA Forum User
It looks like I broke my transmission cooling lines. I guess I flexed the the UCA up into them and crushed 'em on Saturday. This job looks like it's gonna be bitch. Has anyone replaced them on here? Any ideas?

busted a section of mine a while ago and just replaced it with tranny cooler hose. didn't even bother flaring the metal line, just slipped it over and double clamped it. no leaks in close to a year.

x2...
i bought some tranny cooler hose from the local auto parts store. i think the size was 3/8" cut the lines with a hacksaw, a few inches apart, and then slip the hose over the lines and put hose clamps on it.

-Tim

I broke one while trying to get it off stock tranny cooler when replacing radiator. I called a friend to ask if I could just put a rubber hose like those above just said they did. He said it would be only temporary as he didn't think it would hold up to the pressure. I am now going to kick his ass since Xgeek and jeep nuts said thiers lasted. The hardest part in replacing the stock line was unbolting it off the tranny, thier wasn't an excess of room there, and I didn't even really know what I was doing so if I thought it was easy, you'll think its a piece of cake.

i crushed mine not too long ago and like everyone else i just got some flexible transmission line and hose clamped it on there nice and tight. used 2 hose clamps on each end. make sure you dont get oversized hose clamps either cause then when you crank em down they get oblonged and dont seal correctly. you can rent a metal pipe cutter from Autozone or Pepboys if you dont have one wither to cut the lines. good luck

Job's Done.

PICT1184.jpg

If there is concern about duty-sufficiency of the hose...why not cut a length of steel line to-fit, and use rubber hose only as the connectors...?

* I purchased/installed a Long Tru-Cool trans cooler, and noted that the length of trans. cooling hose that came with it was noticeably more rugged than the stuff available at parts stores, even brand-name stuff.... Too bad it isn't readily available.

Here are the Dorman/Help numbers for all the tranny line items:

Pressure Hose 624301
Return Hose 624300
Metal tube 624334
Fittings at Tranny 800714

Rock Auto has them all and are very competively priced. NAPA also has them.

For those who had their cooling lines pinched, what bumpstops where you running at the time? When I pinched mine I had 2" bumpstops and it still happened :confused:

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5792_1.jpg

As long as you double clamp each end it should be ok.

any advantage to replace most of the line (cut a few inches from the transmission) and step it up to a 1/2" line? I have a leak where I cut the pipe for my temp gauge adapter and was going to order new lines and just cut the new line. But using hose acutally makes more sence.

so would there be any advantage to run a 3/8" of the line step up to 1/2" till the cooler and the the same thing back (step from 3/8" to 1/2") for the "long" sections of the transmission lines? or would that just put more conections that could leak? IIRC the transmission only has a few PSI on it so its not like I am having a 90 PSI fuel line, its more along the 15 to 20 psi right?

I think one clamp should be fine - as far as I could determine those pipes don't run very high pressures. Fuel line should also be okay - as long as it is and oil/fuel resistant type hose.

Anyone else, on the bumpstop question? I'm just a little concerned as I'm in the process of building a new front axle with the LCA mounts raised to be level with the axle tube. In order to keep the geometry right I'm going to raise the UCA mount on the axle - currently I am running 3" bumpstops - just hope that is enough. I got myself a junkyard oil line replacement, but if it turns out that it will pinch again I'd rather do the flexible hose fix.

Back