• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint Replacment - Which Press Tool?

88JeepXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I knew my passenger ball joints were starting to get old and almost failed inspection today...so it is time.

First of all, what's the best price on Spicer or Moog ball joints out there? The initial search produced pieces about $70 EACH. I found "OMIX" brand kits at Team Cherokee (a trusted vendor for me) for $80 for both sides upper and lower. That's a great price but are they any good?

Now to my question:
I've done ball joints on XJ's about 3 times I guess, and every time was a whore. The biggest pain was pressing the new joints in because the rented press from Autozone sucks. I think the biggest problem is that the generic sleeve in the kit is not tapered like the XJ wants. So what do you guys use? More to the point, what does the dealer use? I want this to go smoothly.

Thanks

You can get Spicers on alljeep.com for about the same price. OMIX basically buys from other sellers and sticks their name on stuff AFAIK, so you don't really know what you're getting.

I borrowed the kit from a friend of mine in my jeep club... I'll ask him where he got his kit. It was a rented kit from one of the parts chains that he didn't return in time to get his deposit back, that much I remember. So he passes it around the club whenever people need to do balljoints now :thumbup:

EDIT: He says he rented it from Advance Auto Parts.

edit: update 2015 - ever since alljeep screwed me a couple years ago I don't buy from them anymore and don't recommend them to others.

Last edited:

Note the "Use Only With Offset Ball Joints" comment.

Purchase the $72 OTC adapter set, rent the tool; or check with the parts store to see if their set has the correct adapters.

As you said the other times you had to change them were hard, I suggest you purchase the quality replacements.

The harder/nastier/time consuming or possibly destructive a repair the greater the incentive to use quality parts.

Make sure you're pressing in the right direction..... My drivers side lower would NOT press upward no matter how much force I put on the press or how much heat I put on it or how much I beat on it with a lump hammer. When I took the press off it fell out. My new one is welded in....

I use a Performance Tool W89304 it works great. Spend some money on a good press if it's cheap don't buy it. Another vote for Spicers.

I just took mine down to the local NAPA with a machine shop and had them press out the old and press in the new for $60. I tried the rented Advance Auto kit and couldn't make them work.

Of course, this only works if the axle is out of the truck and you can leave it on the machinists work bench!!

I bought the OTC tools and the adapter set off Amazon.com 3 weeks ago. I got them both for $165, there are good deals if you are patient. Much better quality than any of the rental presses I have used. If you are going to be owning a Jeep for a while its a good investment.

And just to flog the dead horse, there are at least 2 sizes of balljoint press. The smaller one will bend on stubborn D30 balljoints. And the angled adapter set makes the job a lot simpler. Oh, and here's another tip: once you get tension on the press, tap the side of the C (or the knuckle, depends on the axle, wherever the balljoint is,) with a light sledge at 90 degrees. This will help break the taper joint.

Now, if only the press I bought a few years ago was big enough to do D60 balljoints....

Update:
I finally got around to doing ball joints a couple weekends ago and I wanted to update this thread.

Using the OTC press and adapter kit for Jeep/Dodge trucks I had by FAR the easiest timing doing ball joints ever. It was actually a semi enjoyable job. The press works great and the adapter set makes it simple. It is amazing how much easier the ball joints press in and out when all of the force is being applied straight on. With the cheap rent-a-tools out there the press bends and the adapters don't fit right.

Highly recommended.

I have done a severa; ball joints without the special adapters. I didn't find it all that hard. Started beating the joint in with a hammer using one of the non-specific adapters. Yes, it goes in on an angle, but just look and see what that angle is. Once you get it started, go easy with it while using the press. Crank it a couple turns and look and see that it isn't binding. I coated the hole and joint with anti-seize, to make installation (and later removal) a little easier. I figured I could spend the $75.00 on tools that I really need. And X3 on not using the HF press.

Note the "Use Only With Offset Ball Joints" comment.

Purchase the $72 OTC adapter set, rent the tool; or check with the parts store to see if their set has the correct adapters.

As you said the other times you had to change them were hard, I suggest you purchase the quality replacements.

The harder/nastier/time consuming or possibly destructive a repair the greater the incentive to use quality parts.

I've had ball joints on the list for some time. It's one of those things like upper control arm bushings that I just am hesitant to do. I think I am gonna get the OTC adapter set and rent the press to save some money and hope for the best ha.

I recently changed my ball joints without the adapters and WITH a Harbor Freight press. I've had my HF press for 10 years now. It's done several ball joint jobs and numerous u-joint changes.

The key, as Tommy said, is to go slow and easy to make sure that nothing is binding. Sure the press will break if you sit there and crank and crank on it. Best way is to crank a bit, then tap with hammer to loosen things up a bit. Then repeat.

Of course, it may help that we don't see as much rust as you guys back east.

The Harbor Freight ball joint presses are hit and miss. I've had mine for 10 years or so and beat the crap out of it and it still keeps working great. Like the man said, put some tension on it, then rap the side of the knuckle or pop the top of the screw on the press.

Lots of luck everybody.

OTC tool + adapters turn this job from a potential PITA into a quick task.
Shop around for them as they range widely in price. I got both from amazon.com for $160.

Back