• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Locker not working?

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my tires out the other day and while I was at the back I spun my tire. Well it shouldn't spin with the detroit in there. Sure a little but not all of the way around right? It doesn't lock in going around corners, no more popping, no more squalling while turning around in the parking lot. I took it out on a dirt hill and tried to break it loose on the hill too see if it was locking. It seems to work but I really couldn't tell for sure.
Any ideas? If I jack it up and spin the tire it should only spin a little ways right? This is how I remember it working before.
Nothing unusual has happened to the jeep to cause it.
It's only about 8 months old.

it depends.
the detroit locker function test:
Detroit Locker said:
How To Tell If My Unit Is Functioning Properly? Perform these two tests:
Step 1
With the engine turned off, raise NoSPIN equipped driving axle(s) until all wheels are out of contact with any surface. Place the transmission in gear or park so that the drive-shaft is locked and does not rotate. Test for forward dis-engagement:
Step 2
With two people, rotate both wheels rearward, as far as possible to lock both wheels.
Step 3
With the left wheel securely held in the rearward direction, rotate the right wheel slowly forward. A faint indexing or clicking sound should be heard as the NoSPIN disengages on the right side.
Step 4
With the right wheel slowly rotating forward, the left wheel should be rotated slightly forward. This will lock both wheels.
Step 5
Again, rotate both wheels rearward, as far as possible to lock both wheels.
Step 6
With the right wheel securely held in the rearward direction, rotate the left wheel slowly forward. A faint indexing or clicking sound should be heard as the NoSPIN is disengaged on the left side.
Step 7
With the left wheel slowly rotating forward, the right wheel should be rotated slightly forward. This will lock both wheels.
Repeat steps 2-7 except, test for reverse disengagement.
If the above steps are completed successfully and rotating wheels disengage easily by hand, rotate freely and evenly, lock both wheels when required, and produce a faint indexing or clicking sound, then the NoSPIN is properly installed and is functioning correctly.
IF EITHER WHEEL DOES NOT ROTATE FREELY IN EITHER DIRECTION or does not lock both wheels as required, re-check the installation of the NoSPIN in the axle. Also, check hand and foot brakes for possible drag caused by improper adjustment. Be sure that all thrust washers have been removed from the standard differential support case.
To check normal NoSPIN operation, drive the vehicle on a flat surface with good traction, in a right or left circle in forward and reverse to be sure that the outside wheel is free to overrun (i.e. that the outside tire does not scuff). A clicking or indexing sound may be heard. The sound of gear re-engagement may also be heard upon completion of the turn. This is normal.
Operation Test
Check to see that both wheels of each NoSPIN differential equipped axle are driving. Make this test under load, so that engine torque is applied through the NoSPIN differential with the wheels on the ground. One way to achieve this load is to drive up against a solid obstruction (on loose dirt or gravel, if possible) and attempt to spin both wheels together. Perform this test in forward and reverse. (Exercise caution when performing this test to avoid damage to vehicle of obstruction.) CAUTION: DO NOT OPERATE THE VEHICLE IF BOTH WHEELS OF A NoSPIN/DETROIT LOCKER EQUIPPED AXLE ARE NOT DRIVING. POWER TO ONLY ONE WHEEL CAN CAUSE SERIOUS STEERING PROBLEMS AND LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND RESULT IN A MISHAP WHICH CAN CAUSE PROPERTY DAMAGE, INJURY, EVEN DEATH.

Back