• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stretch via leaf springs

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What leaf springs will stretch the rear of an XJ? And how much will they stretch it?

There is no "off the shelf" long leaf setup for an XJ. The first problem that hits you is the shackle mounts. They're buried in the back of the chassis, clear at the rear. Even a slightly longer leaf has the shackle hitting the rear cross member. (common problem with even low lift springs) Once you solve that problem, the axle hits the gas tank. Then the shock mounts need to be moved. It's not simply a matter of, X spring moves the axle back 3", Y spring moves it 4.5", etc.

Im not looking for an off the shelf leaf kit. Im talking about main leafs off of other vehicles at the scrap yard, with the center pin further back than the stock XJ's.

I am well aware of the fab work needed to stretch the rear, and am up for the task.

Thanks for the info.

remove current springs, turn them 180* and remount.
there are a few threads on this topic, with many giving approximate stretch lengths, required springs, etc. flipping XJ springs is just one way, add to ttburg's list from above a traction bar to keep the springs from inverting and your well on your way to a rear stretch.

EDIT:
just noticed that crazy little area in the bottom left of the page that says "Similar Threads"
turns out there is already one "similar thread" there...

Ive considered flipping the springs, but the axle wrap that ensues didn't appeal to me. But that could be fixed by said traction bar.

And i've seen that thread, but the leaf itself from a Titan is too long for my liking .

Thanks for the info, beakie.

I remember reading on one of the threads about using van springs. From a full size Dodge van "if" I remember right.

Well, the shackle relocation bracket would probably help in the shackle angle department.

Kinda of old thread, but what if i just wanted to move my rear axle back 1-1.75 inches????? My jeep would clear 35's as it sits(33's now) if i could move my rear axle back an inch

Look in the link two posts up and find a leaf that will work for your application. To move the axle back 1-1.75 you will need the "A" length to be 24" or longer. Just be weary because you don't want the "B" length to be too long or else your leaf will be hitting the rear crossmember.

Last edited:
How do those little MORE relociton brackets work that are supposed to move it back(or forward) an inch? I dont mind the increased risk of axle wrap... I just cant see how the u bolt plates work.. i know i have to redrill for the center pin.. but it seems to me like the plate wouldnt sit over top of the flat part of the leaf?????

link to MORE plates
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/dept/47-001-005/Off_Set_Plates.htm

Back