• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken side door latch linkage

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I locked yself out of the 96 last week with the engine running and the gas light on:yelclap:

Got a locksmith to get me in but in the process, he broke something inside
that connects the inside door latch to the lock, so the door cannot be opened from the inside. The outside works fine though.
When I pull the inner latch I can hear a rod sliding back and forth inside, and jiggling over the lock but there's no connection now.
How would I go about fixing this? This isn't something where I'll have to find a whole new assembly like the wiper tranny linkage is it?

The rod has come off the latch assembly. You'll need to carefully remove the door trim, peel back the water barrier and then you'll be follow the rod back from the inside remote control handle to see where it is disconnected. The rod will have a 90* bend that goes into a hole in the latch. Inside the latch hole will be a plastic retainer, either white, blue, black or yellow depending on the 'clocking'. Push the rod into this hole and then the plastic retainer will turn 90* and snap lock the rod in place. If the retainer is broken, a replacement can be purchased at the local parts store in one of those plastice packages on the turntable where nuts and bolts are displayed. Get the correct color as the color determines the oriententation or clocking.

Back