• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 renix TPS ground wire?

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
How do I hook up an extra ground to TPS?

I read on here that a dedicated ground will help with TPS quirks.

Do you just splice into existing curcuit,or bypass ground on ECU side of connector?

Any help is appreciated.

What kind of quirks?

Normally you test voltages at the TPS sensor to determine if the sensor itself is bad. If you're seeing excessive voltage on the ground wire, then you have a poor ground. The quick fix in that case is to add a wire from the TPS ground wire to a good ground on the engine or chassis. If it's an 89 and the original TPS sensor, the sensor is probably worn out and needs replaced.

So as Joe said, what quirks?

The quirks were low idle and almost stalling out. Before that, it was high idle problem but that cleared up after contact cleaner on TPS connections ( 1 week ago ).

Today I shot the CPS connection and MAT with cleaner and it seems to have cleared up problem.

At freeway speed it would have a slight stumble as it did when original CPS went out at 200,000mi.

That's why I cleaned CPS, this sensor has 180,000mi. on it so it might have seen better days.

For now everything in working order. Thanks for your input.

Low idle--clean the throttle body and the IAC port, clean the pintle of the IAC, be careful, they break.

Test/adjust the TPS. I've been considering using a "pin" drill and putting a hole in a TPS, then using a syringe to push dielectric grease into the guts as a "waterproofing". Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good luck.

Low idle--clean the throttle body and the IAC port, clean the pintle of the IAC, be careful, they break.

Test/adjust the TPS. I've been considering using a "pin" drill and putting a hole in a TPS, then using a syringe to push dielectric grease into the guts as a "waterproofing". Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good luck.

if you do this let me know wouldn't mind doing the same thing

If it works I will post a write up on it.

Back