• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb here, where can i get a new gas tank????

sijeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
Smoke test revealed a hole in top of gas tank, anyone know where i can get a new tank for a 2001?
Can't seem to find one on any website... thanks

How did you get a hole in a plastic gas tank? And what is a "smoke test", blowing smoke in the filler or one of the top of the tank vent tubes?

Seems like you might have a bad "O" ring where the pump is mounted.

Best to do research before spending. We were all new at one time and most of us have bought unnecessary parts before joining NAXJA.

Mike

we ran smoke test to find p0455 leak, pumps smoke through evap system. i smelled gas since i bought it, I too thought it was the o ring until we dropped the tank a couple of inches.... def a hole in the top of the tank. jeep was bought at city surplus auction here in nyc so i have no idea of it's history but it has low mileage 39,000 and runs great besides the evap code.

There is a place out of Chico, CA called Transfer flow. THey make awesome aftermarket tanks, and even make a 30-gal XJ tank that is pretty much bolt-in. Their custom tanks cost close to what their OEM size tanks do.

Maybe the P.O. drilled through the floor for some reason? Peek under the carpet.

If it's a drill hole there must be some kind of patch or plug that would work and hold the pressure without having to replace the tank. I can think of several ways to safely patch a larger hole on the top of a tank up to a couple of aluminum plates, one inside the tank and one outside, held together with pop-rivets and the proper sealant.

Now that I think about it, it was a former dept of corrections auto, maybe they did drill.
Found a junkyard, locally 100 for the tank, not worth it to mess around trying to patch it.
thanks to all those who replied, I have an 04 wrangler but boy are these xj's nice and comfy
thanks to all who helped out, boards like this are the reason why I love jeeps!!!:cheers:

_long shot!-

Doesn't that year have (1) hole for fuel pump and (2) holes for the vent system? Maybe its just missing a part??

What size hole? as mentioned above, should be patchable at low cost if rest of tank OK.

Good Luck,
Orange

. . . it has low mileage 39,000 and runs great besides the evap code.
Sounds like you scored thanks to that pesky engine code that poped up after someone tried to mount something in the back!

Change out ALL the fluids including brake fluid which has probably collected water from lack of use.

Oh, and welcome to NAXJA.
Once I counted how much $$ I saved from the info here I joined as a paying member, besides meeting some of the local So. Cal. chapter people was worth the price of admission.

Mike

Back