• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer wiring whoa's

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
So last winter i wrapped a trailer wire around my front drive shaft and ripped out the spring for the pinion seal. So....I am running new pig tails for towing and i ran into an issue.

There are 2 separate wires for the tail/brake lights.

On the pig tails there are 4 wires. left/right/tail/ground

I thought i would just tap the tail light PT(Pig tail) to the Vehicle tail, but then when applying the brakes the reailer brake lights will not come on. If i connect the tail PT to the Vehicle brake then the head lights will not light up the trailer.

I need to know how to wire the tail PT into the Vehicle tail and brake wires.

This is all on a '89 4.0.

thanks

-PJ-

You need a 3 to 2 wire control box for all the lights to work right. That way your brake and turn signal works on the same bulb unlike your XJ which are seperate bulbs, any trailer supply store has them. Hope this helps

Where were the wires connected before? Make sure there isn't already a connector with the right configuration hidden behind the spare tire mount.

I've always run my trailer pigtails internally, and just run them under the hatch in use. The hatch doesn't close tight enough to bother the wires, and this way your connector is always protected the rest of the time.

What i need is like a 2-1 adapter. I have the Brake light wire and the tail light wire, I then need to connect them to 1 pig tail wire.

So i can have tail lights and brake lights for the trailer.

I have to ask, how did you get the trailer wire wrapped around the front shaft?

The lighting converters are the only way to go. xWhatever on that.

I have to ask, how did you get the trailer wire wrapped around the front shaft?

The lighting converters are the only way to go. xWhatever on that.

I think it happened when i went through a water hole and the slack got caught in the yoke and the rest is history.

I guess i need to know, How does the converter box work? I have one that was hooked up but i need to know how it works so i can reuse it.

The adapter I have in my 94 is a T-tap that goes in behind the driver's side trim panel in the cargo area. Split the factory harness at the connector, insert this device, and fish the tail out through the hole in the bottom of the quarter panel. There's a diode arrangement inside the device to light up the appropriate leads.

I have no idea how ti was hooked up before. Is this the only way to go?
I guess my point is that if it was hooked up before, and if it worked correctly at any time, there's a good chance the adapter has already been installed somewhere, and you can save some time and money if it has. The usual place is behind the trim panel behind the spare tire, and I'd start by looking there. If there is no adapter there, this would be where you want to put it anyway.

I think it happened when i went through a water hole and the slack got caught in the yoke and the rest is history.

I guess i need to know, How does the converter box work? I have one that was hooked up but i need to know how it works so i can reuse it.

Can you read the brand name on it? If so, quick Google search should turn up the installation directions.

I don't think it should be too hard to figure out with a multimeter.

EDIT: the link I posted above has their installation instructions PDF link right there on it.

Last edited:
Back