• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my head fried HELP

Tcarsten

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday i was driving around and everything was fine in the mourning.
Later in the day the t stat went and it got hot my GF didnt realize what was happening. so i replace the t stat and now it wont idle or it does really low.
So i changed the idle contol sensor or atleast i think thats what it is or is it the idle air control sensor??
Anyway it does the same thing.
So i unplugged the map sensor and it started to idle faster but really ruff, plugged it back in and it died. Luckly i have a jeep junk yard in my garage, grabbed another one and it still idles really low.
So my ?? is could the valves in the head have fried and thats why it wont idle??

:helpme::helpme::helpme::helpme:

So, rent a coolant tester--you have to buy the chemicals--and check the coolant for combustion gasses. Remove the oil fill cap--mocha latte? Pull the dipstick--mocha latte? Pull all the plugs and crank the engine over--any "Old Faithful" geysers? Rent a compression gauge and run a cold compression test on all the cylinders, then post up the numbers.

Good luck.

I will try that in the mourning
thanks for the reply

also its smells really bad like burnt antifreeze
But no smoke or antifreeze in the oil so no mocha latte!

Last edited:
wait, so your girlfriend overheated it? hahahah I literally just commented on a guys post where his girlfriend was driving it with a hole in the rad, and it overheated. My friends older sister ran there grand cherokee out of coolant once and oil twice.

Do I see a trend?

good luck, whens the last time the t-stat was replaced? what brand failed?

Yea she did
Its ok though she is pregnant so i forgive her lol

Im not sure what kind the t stat was probly something cheap since the PO
was a cheap ass

Also i checked the compression

1st 100
2nd 60 :nosmile:
3rd 120
4th 130
5th 125
6th 150

Well i took the head off valve is bent in the 2nd cylinder:smsoap:

So new valves and seals now and probly have to have it shaved

Allow me to recommend my personal favorite: Stant SuperStat Premium.

Ok so i got the head back today
I didnt end up taking the same one in i had an extra no bent valves in this one.

so i got everything on and in with no problems went to start it up and nothing, so i checked everything again and the o2 sensor was unplugged tried it again started but i had to use the pedal to keep it from dying.

so since this isnt the same head will the timing be off??
or should i check something else??

Check your vacuum lines.

Did you pull the distributor for any reason?

Did you torque the rockers to specs?

I dont know what else to do
I got a brand new Idle air control valve
and now it idles fast

it was at 2000
and then later it was at 1500

Ok, with the high idle I would expect to find an intake/vacuum leak somewhere.

A common occurrence is to get the intake manifold cocked on the locating pins. The additional air getting in leans the mixture and causes a high idle.

Get a 3' piece of vinyl tubing, about 1/2" or less in I.D., then stick one end in your ear and move the other end along the mating surface/gasket area of the intake--if there is a leak you will hear it.

Good luck.

Back