• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump?

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys!
So i have been having some cooling issues, first i replaced the t-stat and the housing gasket and that made it cool normally again. After i replaced these though i noticed a leak from what seems to be the water pump weep hole. I get a nasty squealing noise at anything off idle that sounds more like a shot bearing, and the "weep hole leak". I just was wondering if this was really my problem, because today i drove it about a mile or so and it heated normally, stayed on the cool side of the 210 mark (its 72* here today) but when i parked it i still had the leak from where the weep hole would be.
Can a water pump that is on its way out still cool the engine normally?
Or could this be a leak somewhere else and i need to look to my idler pulley or something else for the squeal?

Thanks for the advise,
Joe

Definitely! The seal is probably failing, but as long as the impeller is turning (and still has vanes on it) it will still do its job. The squealing may be from the coolant leaking onto the belt, causing it to lose traction. Normally a pump sounds like it's stirring marbles when the bearing is going. Time for a NEW pump, and don't be cheap-a new Gates or Goodyear Gatorback belt. Accept NO substitutes!

Last edited:
ok thanks guys, yeah i kinda figured it was the pump but i didn't want to spend money to not fix the problem..
I have a gatorback thats >1000mi old so thats staying...

Thanks again!
Joe

hey Chris, get your ass to salinas. Let's go to hollister.

While you've got everything knocked down to change the water pump, change the idler pully anyhow - the bearing is probably shot (and you're already there, it will take you an extra two minutes.)

If you are so inclined, you can probably push out the old bearing and replace it for a few bucks. For a few more, if you don't have the capability, you can just replace the whole damned thing (if you do that, can I talk you out of the old one? I can change a bearing in a few minutes, and then I can add the pully to the Parts Exchange to help someone else...)

I don't see myself wheeling anytime soon. Maybeee when I get some cash. I just graduated school, have a 6,000 dollar tool bill to pay, and a 22,000k student loan to pay. Plus I want a yj that I can stroke and link.

pshhh..... whatever dude... haha. you could use a good job right about now.

Back