• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to use to clean out fuel tank

is there any crap in your fuel tank? What brand of fuel pumps are you 'going through'?

My original fuel pump died a few weeks ago (records indicate it was original at about 310,000 kms) and all I could get locally was a Carter fuel pump so I put it in. It lasted for about 30kms. When I did the pump replacement the inside of my tank was absolutely pristine, and the sock on the old pump was pure white and had zero gunk in the mesh. It totally blew me away how clean it was in there. However, 30 kms later, the new carter pump, with a new sock, and a new filter crapped out on me, simply because it is a POS.

I've always steamed metal tanks... I guess you could use a pressure washer on a low setting with an angled nozzle to spray it out repeatedly, and then dry it out really well and spray some ether in it to draw out any remaining moisture. Make sure everything is completely dry before reinstalling though...

I am a fan of throwing about 5 gallons of gas in the tank, sloshing it around as much as I can, then pouring it out into a 5 gallon pail.

I use the 5 gallon pail full of gas to clean parts - gas takes heavy oils off better than brakleen. Then I hose the gas off with brakleen (over the same bucket) and toss a cover on it till next time I need to clean parts off...

I agree though, you probably are getting crappy pumps. Bosch, ACDelco, and Delphi are the only brands I trust on those things, AFAIK they are/were all OEM suppliers.

Powerblock ran a story about cleaning out old gas tanks yesterday. Here is what they used.

The Eastwood Company

Web: The Eastwood Company
Phone: 800-343-9353

• Tank Tone Metallic Coating

Back