• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 to a 44 Swap

WraithKWK

NAXJA Forum User
I hate asking questions that I know are already covered in other threads but i cant find it.

89 cherokee limited Automatic 4x4
I blew my 35, and picked up a 44 out of a stock automatic
what are my chances of the gear ratios matching. I'm just really hoping that i'll be able to use 4 wheel drive after the install tomorrow.

I have checked 2 websites for specifications but the info is not consistant.

I have concluded that the gear ratios could be 3:54 or 3:55

Thanks for any info you might share

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)#Axle_Gear_Ratios

Axle Gear Ratios

Jeep XJs came in several standard gearing ratios:

• 3.07:1, manual transmission, I6 engine.
  • 3.54:1, automatic transmission, I6 engine with Dana 44 rear differential.
  • 3.54:1, manual transmission, I4 diesel engine with Dana 35 rear differential.
  • 3.55:1, automatic transmission, I6, V6 engines; manual transmission, I4 engine.
  • 3.73:1, automatic transmission, I6, Tow Package, UpCountry Package.
  • 4.10:1, manual transmission, V6; automatic transmission, I4 engine.
  • 4.56:1, automatic transmission, I4, offroad or tow package.

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

Chances are that you should be fine so long as they are both 6 cylinder autos. 3.54 vs. 3.55 doesn't really matter, they're both considered to be the same ratio.

Check the tag, or pull the cover and count, otherwise you are taking a chance.

D44s 87-89 XJs with towing package (some, but not all).

3.73:1 found in some XJs with the towing package.

Thanks guys, I'll count the teeth tomorrow

don't bother actually counting them. turn the ring gear till you see two numbers, usually separated by a " : ". Then devide the larger number by the small one.... there's your gear ratio

Well on the gear ratio I got lucky the tabs told me 3:54 and 3:55. However my U bolts were the wrong size. My driveshaft was 1 inch to long and the brakes on my dana 44 were an inch to wide for the drums it came with.

So I found bigger U bolts, Shaved my driveshaft an Inch and used the brake shoes from my Dana 35. Minus a few needed Washers for my U bolts all looks well.

Is there any prefered way of dissableing my Antilock brakes. I kinda just cut the wires and let it all hang

NEVER DO IT THAT WAY!

Later XJs you can just pull the pump fuse.

YOU SHOULD NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE UNTIL THE ABS SYSTEM HAS BEEN CORRECTLY DISABLED/REPLACED.

See Kastein's post, he has links of why you shouldn't do what you did and how to do it correctly: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1030185

OK so currently the the wires that went to the ABS sensors on the rear Axles are dangling. everything else is as it was.

The brakes act as if they were manual brakes ATM

Am I really going to need to replace the Booster and everything else to make it safe. Bah I need to make another post brake related

Yes, you do... you will be fine for now since you left the fuses and relays alone, BUT you still are playing russian roulette with a known-faulty system every time you drive it. Getting rid of it isn't that bad, I did my WJ booster swap on my 91 MJ in a couple hours in my driveway after dark and that included bleeding the master and bending up some brake lines.

Back