• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Block Swap

always89

NAXJA Forum User
Im usually poretty good at finding info on this site. No luck this time,
I was wondering if I can fit my intake and accessories from an 87 4.0 block onto a 96 block?

What should I be aware of?

Yes you can. Be aware that you should use the intake/exhaust that matches the motor your intake manifold came off of. The late model head may or may not have a provision for the temp sending unit at the rear. No big deal if it doesn't. Use the thermostat housing off the HO and mount the sender there. You may have to remove a block plug so you can put your CTS there. Use your distributor , flexplate/flywheel etc. If you run into anything during the swap, post it up. It will work just fine.

Yes you can. Be aware that you should use the intake/exhaust that matches the motor your intake manifold came off of. The late model head may or may not have a provision for the temp sending unit at the rear. No big deal if it doesn't. Use the thermostat housing off the HO and mount the sender there. You may have to remove a block plug so you can put your CTS there. Use your distributor , flexplate/flywheel etc. If you run into anything during the swap, post it up. It will work just fine.

I agree with Cruiser54. You need to use all of your original sensors.

Do you mean just the 87 block with the 96 head and intake installed on it or the 87 block and head with the 96 intake on it? As said, use your existing sensors from the 96, but you will have issues if you attempt to get the 96 intake manifold to seal up to the larger intake port renix head(2686). The knock sensor in the renix block will stay disco'd and depending on if you have a early or late 96, you will connect the temp sensor on the driver's side rear of the head(early 96s had them, late ones didn't). This is the sender for the dash gauge only--pcm gets its temp from t-stat mounted sensor.

Im talking about taking the 96 block and head, adding the 87 intake and accessories.

Would I be better off keeping the 96 intake? Looks like the throttle cable and a few other hook ups are different.

Keep your Renix intake. Knock sensor will thread into the 96 block where it did on your block. Manifolds will interchange easily and not leak provided you use the intake/exhaust gasket for the manifold you're using, not the head FWIW.

Just to make really, really, really sure we are all on the same page--you have an 87 XJ, and you are wanting to put a 96 block and head in the 87 XJ, with the original 87 engine management--correct?

My bad I thought the swap was the other way around(87 going into a 96). Use your 87 intake manifold.

Ok, shouldn't have any troubles other than a location for the temp gauge sending unit and the CTS. As suggested above, use the 96 thermostat housing for the gauge sending unit and use the block drain hole for the CTS, all sensors/flexplate/crank sensor from the 87 and you are good to go.

Good luck.

Bringing this topic back to the top.....My '87 engine needs rebuilt or replaced. I can not afford to rebuild. I found an engine from a '96 for $200.00. Reading through this thread gives me hope. My question is Can I use the same wiring in the '87? If I am using the '87 intake and all the '87 sensors? Basically I am swapping the '96 block and head into the '87?

Thanks - Tim

Back