• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent starting issues

tmi4184

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys. I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic, and its completely stock with aprox 221,000 mi. If my jeep has been sitting for a few days and not being started, it will start. Now here is the problem, if I let the jeep idle for a few minutes or even drive it for a short period of time and shut it off, it will not start for a FEW days. When I turn the key it does NOT make any noise other than the fuel pump coming on. No cranking noise no nothing. Now one thing I have noticed is if I start the jeep and drive it for probably 4 to 5 miles and turn it off, it will start right back up.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Your comment "When I turn the key it does NOT make any noise other than the fuel pump coming on. No cranking noise no nothing." makes me suspect the NSS.

Just to be sure, when you say it won't start, you actually mean it won't turn over?

PS--welcome to NAXJA!

I think you may be on to something with that NSS. I started the jeep today and as usual it started on the first try, let it run at idle for 5 minutes, then shut it off. Tried to start it again and no start or cranking noise of any kind. So while holding the key in the start position, transmission in park, I pushed the gear shifter froward a hair and v room, it started.

Definitely check the NSS. I recently cleaned mine on my 98xj and it works great. Just curious, do your reverse lights work? The NSS also works those. Clean the NSS on a clean surface to keep from losing the small contacts. Good luck.

Back