• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage Dies/Tube size

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What radius size would you guys recommend for a cage and bumpers? Right now I have a 1.5"x6"CLRx120*, but I think the 6" radius might be a little too large. I have the option of swapping dies with pro-tools for about $90-$100 if needed. The cage will be a hybrid, similar to EricsXJ's

Now how about the tube size? I originally went with a 1.5" die because of weight, cost, and looks (after looking at Eric's cage in advanced fab). Should I stick with 1.5" or bump it up?

What do you guys think?

I use primarily 1.75" x .120 DOM on my rig. On the last big project I used a bunch of 1.5" x .120 for some bracing and secondary pieces, and had to do some bends in that too. I did a full-length bend with the 1.75" x .120 and cut it in half:

4268356588_71e0d7c1db_o.jpg

I then used that piece to 'sleeve' my 1.75" die for bending the 1.5" DOM. The little tack welds keep it from pulling through the die. Here's my shock tower brace that I bent this way:

4276083368_7819af686d_o.jpg

Surprisingly the bend quality is pretty good, doesn't really flatten it at all. Just something to think about.

I'm no expert but 1-1/2" dia. seems a bit wimpy for a roll cage. It would be ok for bumpers although I'd prefer a little bit bigger.

The bend radius is a function of the tube dia. and wall thickness. I don't have time to look as I'm at work, but you should be able to find it on the web.

As I recall it's 3-1/2 X tube O.D. @ .095 W. But don't trust me I'm always wrong.

So a 1-1/2" dia. tube minimum bend radius is 5-1/4"r. Which means you would be ok with the 6" bend radius.

I'm no expert but 1-1/2" dia. seems a bit wimpy for a roll cage.

(my opinion)
True with larger vehicles but for smaller lighter weight rigs 1.5" x .120" DOM is just fine. Its what my race car uses and it weights just under what a stock XJ weights. As long as you design it right and brace things where needed I think you would be just fine. Its all in the design work. I plan on using 1.5" DOM for my cage in the XJ if I ever build one. Of course larger is going to be stronger but its also more weight and money. I have also thought about building the main hoop and legs with 1.75" DOM and then bracing with the smaller.

I was tryen to decide the same thing 1.5 .120 vs 1.75 .120. Gotman ran 1.5 on his rig and ran king of the hammers and it held up fine. Thats good enoiugh for me. I went with the 1.5 tube. Save weight and cost. Take time in the design and it will be fine

What radius die are you guys using?

'Doesn't really mean much on the street, but for competition use, most regs spec minimum bend radius at 3x tube O.D.
As far as tube size: The current SCORE reg. is 1.75"- 0.120 wall for a 3K to 4K race truck(empty weight) Don't feel too bad if you want to use the 1.5" tube though. The old spec was 1.5", and they still let anyone with a previously built chassis run.

I use primarily 1.75" x .120 DOM on my rig. On the last big project I used a bunch of 1.5" x .120 for some bracing and secondary pieces, and had to do some bends in that too. I did a full-length bend with the 1.75" x .120 and cut it in half:

I then used that piece to 'sleeve' my 1.75" die for bending the 1.5" DOM. The little tack welds keep it from pulling through the die. Here's my shock tower brace that I bent this way:

Surprisingly the bend quality is pretty good, doesn't really flatten it at all. Just something to think about.

Did you use 1.75x.120 wall for the sleeve? or .25 wall? It seems to me that the .25 wall would make for a tighter/better sleeve.

EDIT: I found my flaw, disregard.

That is genius...

~ Stump

Back