• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case Question

93XJ2drSport

NAXJA Forum User
I was under my Cherokee yesterday, lubing it and I noticed that I could grab the front drive shaft output yolk on the transfer case and move it in and out about a 1/4 inch....Not up and down, just in and out.....That doesn't seem right to me, do I have a problem or is this normal?

Its a little excessive but not uncommon,up/dn movement would be an issue.

There are 2 bearings(see #14 also).

not to hijack but i have the same kinda question. after removing the driveshaft should there be noise when spinning the output yokes of the transfer case by hand. i can hear my bearings. i have vibes that i cant seem to shake out and it seems with 130k on the case and wheeling the crap out of it a couple years ago it may be time for a rebuild. allthough i put an sye on mine. couldnt imagine i tore up a bearing in the case after a couple years but who knows.

good luck sorting yours out. make sure you check your pinion angles first. thats the starting point.

I was under my Cherokee yesterday, lubing it and I noticed that I could grab the front drive shaft output yolk on the transfer case and move it in and out about a 1/4 inch....Not up and down, just in and out.....That doesn't seem right to me, do I have a problem or is this normal?

As long as you have your front driveshaft out yank on the front yoke and see if there is any play. Mine was loose quite a bit. If the pinion nut is loose the pinion shaft will wobble and wear out the seal. My seal was leaking. I just tightend the pinion nut untill all of the play was gone. The right way is to get an inch pound torque wrench and tighten the nut until you get the bearing preload to factory specs.

The link above doesn't do a very good job of showing where the front output shaft bearing goes. Looking at the Haynes manual, it shows it inside of the t-case. My biggest question is, do you have to pull the t-case apart to change the bearing? Or is it something that can be done just pulling the yoke and seal?

The front bearing is held in by a c-clip behind the seal(shown to the left of part#12),the rear bearing can only be accessed by splitting the case.

The front bearing is held in by a c-clip behind the seal(shown to the left of part#12),the rear bearing can only be accessed by splitting the case.

whats that seal held in by? i took the yoke off, got to the seal but its not coming out that easy and thats not a seal i just want to get in there with a flat head and start trying to get it out without knowing how it comes out

Its a normal press fit,just pry it out(make sure not to nick the sealing surface on the output shaft)!

Back