• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C install

xj_dummy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2.5 Cherokee without A/C, and I also have a parts jeep with A/C and a Bad engine 4.0.
Can the brackets and all of the 4.0 parts work on my 2.5?

Really good time to provide all of the BASICS--year of the 2.5, year of the 4.0--without the basics no one knows how to answer your question.

A couple of general points about an A/C add in.

1. Take out the entire dash of both vehicles and switch over every bracket, duct and both HVAC boxes. Include the wiring harness as the HVAC vacuum supply lines are included.

2. Drink copius amounts of beer.

3. The heater water valve is different.

4. Drink more beer.

5. When installing A/C replace EVERY stinking 'O' ring because you need to upgrade to 134.

6. Drink more beer.

7. Install a NEW, that's right NEW accumulator - dryer assembly. This will help when recharging the system to have dry 134 and weeks from now you won't have to be concerned with mixing oils.

8. Drink more beer, go on the internet and purchase an XJ already equipped with AC. I wish I had because it would have been easier and less frustrating than the 'upgrade' modification.

If I was going to do that I'd get one from a hot rod shop that attaches under the dash on a pre 97 if there is room.

A quick look at the 89 parts catalog shows that much of the a/c system is different between the 2.5 and the 4.0 engines, one exception is the mounting hardware for the compressor.

As for the 86, you would need to find a parts catalog for that year and compare the parts to the 89.

I think the easiest/cheapest would be to find an 86 2.5 donor. Second best option would be the aforementioned underdash unit.

Good luck with your project.

Back