• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

synthetic line?

synthetic or steel

• synthetic line (13,000lb masterpull line)

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • steel cable (whatever comes with xrc8)

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • who gives a damn just get the winch on

Votes: 32 38.1%

• Total voters

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
so i wone a masterpull synthetic line and have a 8k winch on the way, do i keep the steel line or do i go ahead and toss on the synthetic.

its pretty wet here in colorado, the jeep is currently my DD, and i see trails i probably shouldnt be on with my setup. th trails are usually very rocky. in the winter i am in the mountains a lot..

any upsides or downsides to one or the other?

Synthetic line is crap. I'll give you $100 for it.

There have been issues in the past with the "blue" line not handling heat well. I understand that there is a orange "fire" line available which has addresses this.

I once had a blue line snap while lowering a vehicle down a steep hill. The heat generated in the winch brake systems was enough to cause failure.

It is by far safer when it does snap! It just dropped to the ground.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

this is the orangy-yellow colored 5/8"-100' line rated @ 13k pounds

but interesting to know

I'd use the steel until it starts to wear and swap on the synthetic or use the synth and carry the steel cable as a spare. Either one is fine. I've used steel cables for years without any issues but i'm aware of when a steel cable starts to go and I replace it instead of waiting till it breaks.

I'd definitely throw on the synthetic line. The biggest issue with them is if they get chaffed they get weak and break. Just make sure you get a line guard and use that if it's rubbing against a tree, rock, etc. while winching.

Synthetic line is worth it just for pure safety reasons. Steel cable is so dangerous. My old synthetic line broke twice while winching but it just falls to the ground because it doesn't store much energy. It can also be spliced back together if it does break. My old line lasted about 3-4 years and now I have a Masterpull superline XD, which is an awesome line.

Synthetic line is still crap. I'll give you $125.

this is the orangy-yellow colored 5/8"-100' line rated @ 13k pounds

but interesting to know

Sure you don't mean 5/16" line? That's the stuff rated at 13k lbs.

Pretty sure they don't even sell 5/8" line, unless you are putting it on an MRAP or something.

I'd say it depends on your usage. For a trailer queen/trail rig that's never street driven, and stored inside, go with the synthetic. If it's your DD, it sits outside all day in the sun, catches all the road dirt, mud, salt, and whatever else gets thrown up off the road 7 days a week, go with the steel.

you will save about 35# on the nose of your rig with the rope, and gain about an 3/8" of tire clearance. Sale the cable if it is in decent shape.

Mike go with the synth line. I've cut my hands more times than I can count on frayed threads in steel lines... not fun.

well as my deal on a winch fell thro, this is useless and i could use the money towards a winch, so its up for sale,
check the colorado forsale/wanted forum for the ad
:thumbup:

and yes i will ship if price is right

Back