• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with lifted XJ

nonnie

NAXJA Forum User
Pertaining to: 96 XJ 2dr-4.0/AX-15/ approx 6.5" lift short arms-30/8.25 4:11's-welded rear-33x10.5 KM2's

I chose against towing my 10' box popup camper trailer (approx 1500/1600lbs) last year with my Cherokee due to the 3:07's. I had 4:11's installed and feel that the XJ should have the power to move the trailer. Stopping is a concern though. The road being towed on is paved and no more than a 50mph limit. Good idea to tow it or not?

Last edited:
agreed. you can def do it. but just keep your distances

I regularly tow my utility trailer (500 lbs. empty) with gravel, rock, etc. with 3.55's, it's about a 1K load + the trailer. I don't have t-brakes but I just take it real easy. No probs on the load.

I also tow a 20 ft boat trailer 90-100 miles from elevation ~1000 to ~6000 ft. I've never had any kind of problem where I would NEED the t-brakes but I have them. A little more peace of mind with brakes.

Wrong gears. On 33s with a 5spd, 4.56 would be a better choice. I towed my Coleman Sante Fe pop-up (right around 2,000 lbs.) from Chicago to Moab 3 times. Twice on 31s w/ 4.11s, once on 33s w/ 4.11s. It definitely struggled with the gearing on the last trip, both towing and offroad. It's since been regeared to 4.56, and definitely runs better this way.

What I'd suggest more than anything, though, is electric brakes on the trailer. XJ brakes are marginal to begin with, let alone 33" tires.

Back