• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual window assembly

whatever

NAXJA Forum User
Its a 97....So i posted in the wanted section that i need a new one(dealer wants 210 for the assembly) so i took it all apart to see what exactly was acting up,
found this:
windowsetup.jpg

Notice the plastic tube close to the guide is separated (right side of the pic), but it looks clean and even, and there was tape all around it (removed for the pic).
Is that separation supposed to be there and the tape what holds it together or is this supposed to be one peice?

Thanks
Josh

That's broken. And once it breaks, there's not much you can do. Tape may help for a little while. Put the handle on the regulator and crank it. You'll see how the tube will separate and the worm drive will come out of the tube, which it's not supposed to do.

I have 97+ doors on my 92 MJ and swapped from power to manual windows. I got two manual regulators and door panels from a junkyard for $60.

That's broken. And once it breaks, there's not much you can do. Tape may help for a little while. Put the handle on the regulator and crank it. You'll see how the tube will separate and the worm drive will come out of the tube, which it's not supposed to do.

I have 97+ doors on my 92 MJ and swapped from power to manual windows. I got two manual regulators and door panels from a junkyard for $60.

yeah i saw how they moved apart when i tried cranking it up but wasnt sure if thats just how it was and tape was what secured the two pieces, the break looked really clean so i wanted to make sure

i thought about trying to find a short piece of hard plastic tube with the same ID as the window tubes OD and making a sleeve sort of thing, and "mend" them together with some of that scale model car glue shit that like melts plastics together...

going to the j/y seems stupid for something so petty, but i guess it does give me an excuse to like for other goodies :yelclap:

and thanks for the response johnny

I might give the glue a try along with the hard plastic sleeve held in place with some clamps, but I'd still be hitting pick-n-pull for a spare-- just in case...

I might give the glue a try along with the hard plastic sleeve held in place with some clamps, but I'd still be hitting pick-n-pull for a spare-- just in case...

Yep yep, the sleeve rig would just be a temp thing till i got around to going to the yard, its just hard as hell to come across second gens at the yards here in Hampton Roads. Anyone happen to know if the first gens are the same design.

My 91 manual crank won't go all the way down. The only thing missing before I pass inspection. Also there were a lot of rivets in the bottom of the door..

First gen vs second gen are different.

Someone had a kit for sale that fixed these permanently (instead of the temp fix of getting a new one), not sure what the site was though.

going to the j/y seems stupid for something so petty:yelclap:
You should EMBRACE any reason to go hunting. Many times when looking to find a part to fix a problem, the 'donor' is the learning curve. If you mess it up, just move on. Then, when you install it on your junk, you're an expert!

First gen vs second gen are different.

Someone had a kit for sale that fixed these permanently (instead of the temp fix of getting a new one), not sure what the site was though.

Thanks for the info and im definately gonna be on the hunt for that product, i dont wanna deal with this shit again.

You should EMBRACE any reason to go hunting.

I embrace the hunt but not really around here cause ive got a 97 and finding second gens in the yards around here is like lookin for a hot virgin with huge tits. :dunno: Where are they all at?

So heres my ghetto temp solution, couldnt find any hard plastic tube with matching ID/OD so i grabbed this 3/8" threaded coupler, cinched it down till the tubes butted up to each other and it works great....its just temporary though.....
windowfix2.jpg

windowfix.jpg

That's a great way to embrace ingenuity! Before you re-install it-if it's not already too late-is to lubricate the heck out of it. The earlier ones use a metal tube, with a slit running the length. I used 3-in-1 oil, though any thin lube would be great. The less stress and friction the tube sees, the longer it'll work good. Just find an opening and dribble the lube in. Happy crankin'!

Back