• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mounts

*Should* they? If they're bad, certainly and the sooner the better. If not, then whenever you're ready to do so.

When you do, also change out the oil filter adapter o-rings. I'd also replace the bolts that hold the mount brackets to the block as well.

Brown Dog mounts--do a search.

Available in natural rubber or poly--can be rebuilt or switched between rubber poly. None better IMHO.

Absolutely Brown Dog motor mounts. Made in the USA, and they have some of the absolute best customer service around.

Brown Dogs for sure. Great products and great customer service.

Go with Brown Dog mounts- they are great and the customer service is outstanding. I've heard the poly mounts cause extra vibrations which are functionally no problem, buy may make your old XJ jingle and jangle.

Here is a link to the thread I recently posted about the part number for 1988 oil filter adapter o-rings:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245003477#post245003477

You need to remove the oil filter adapter to get the old mount out. This is one of the areas that tends to leak oil, so kill 2 birds at once.

Here is a link to a thread where member 5-90 details the right way to do this job:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1029724

These are really important- bad motor mounts can tear up trans mounts and even worse- allow the motor to shift, causing the fan to impact the radiator.
I'll try to get some photos of my old ones when they come off this week. I've been driving with them for a year or so- they are cracked through the rubber. So, while they have lasted a while, it isn't a very good ideal to push it...

Good luck

If its just a stocker, and your going through the jeep anyways, you can buy stock replacements for less then $10 each.

I have Brown Dogs Super kit sitting in my garage right now.

Back