• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Info on Early XJ Clock with System Monitor

1987Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
In some ways I'm chasing a red herring. Back when I had my 4 cyl MJ I came across a loaded XJ (probably a Wagoneer)at the jy. It had the LCD/vacuum fluorescent clock but instead of having the customary black plastic plate as the lower half it was festooned with warning lights. I can't remember them all but a few were for things like "low brake lining", "low transfer case fluid" etc. I should have grabbed it when I had the chance as I've never seen another one. Anyone have information on this and/or pics of one?

Anyone have information on this and/or pics of one?
If you are looking for more info beyond what's in that thread, i've got a wiring diagram and an almost complete system in a box somewhere in my garage.

SOOOO... are all these lights bullshit?

how does it know the rear axle is ok? never mind stuff like power steering, etc. where are all these sending units? what about the wiring? i bet it would be a nightmare if fully implemented... what was amc thinking?!?

how does it know the rear axle is ok? never mind stuff like power steering, etc. where are all these sending units? what about the wiring? i bet it would be a nightmare if fully implemented... what was amc thinking?!?[/QUOTE]

Probably that they wanted to be more like Chrysler was at the time. Remember the LeBaron and New Yorker?

how does it know the rear axle is ok? never mind stuff like power steering, etc. where are all these sending units? what about the wiring? i bet it would be a nightmare if fully implemented... what was amc thinking?!?

There were holes drilled into the axles, t-case, etc. for fluid level sensors. A harness ran under the length of the XJ, into the engine bay and to a box underneath the dash called the system sentry remote module (which looks exactly like the electronic voice alert module in Chryslers). Another harness ran up the dash from the remote module to the display module in the dash.

Boilermaker: If you could post a pic of the system that would be great. I was trying to explain it to a few other XJ/MJ owners but none of them had ever seen one. I knew I should have grabbed that thing when I saw it :doh:

There were holes drilled into the axles, t-case, etc. for fluid level sensors. A harness ran under the length of the XJ, into the engine bay and to a box underneath the dash called the system sentry remote module (which looks exactly like the electronic voice alert module in Chryslers). Another harness ran up the dash from the remote module to the display module in the dash.

X2.

I've been hunting for parts out of one of these systems for a while now. Not because I want to install such a rats nest... more because I am in general curious about strange electronic stuff.

It's called the System Sentry, which makes googling for info a real blast, since the special remote/key thing for the later model security systems is called the Sentry Key on both XJs and ZJs/WJs which pollutes your results pretty badly.

I've been hunting for parts out of one of these systems for a while now. Not because I want to install such a rats nest... more because I am in general curious about strange electronic stuff.
found the wiring diagram...its really isn't very complicated but it would be pain to install. The one thing i never really figured out when i was messing with it was the "Engine off In(put?)", there isn't a choke heater relay in my truck to run that wire to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think the O2 sensor heater relay would receive/generate power at the same times as the choke heater relay-- key on, engine on. Possibly replicate the circuitry using it as a signal vice the choke relay?

Here's a (lousy cell phone) picture of some of the sentry system components. Clockwise from the top, the brake booster cover (with a hole for the sensor), the remote module with mounting bracket, the display module, 2 axle fluid sensors (there are a couple others, they are all the same) and 4 more sensors that at the moment can't remember what they are for.

I don't want to inadvertently post any info that's against forum rules, so if you have any other questions/pic requests please pm me.

awesome!

Were the wires for all the sensors bound into the wiring harnesses on the donor vehicle, or run separately? Aside from making a mess of my harness and having to drill holes in diffs/other stuff to install the sensors, I probably would actually install it if I found one and got a chance at it. Most of the vehicles it could be found in around here ended up in the crusher likely five to ten years ago due to rust, though.

Were the wires for all the sensors bound into the wiring harnesses on the donor vehicle, or run separately?
In the donor XJ, the sentry wiring is bundled with the rest of the cab and engine wiring. But with some patience it can be separated into a self-contained harness.

Back