• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna mounts

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
i searched the site and all the posts that I found talked about mounting locations for the radios and SWR for the Antenna's. I have low SWR, but what I want to know is if everyone thinks its better to have the antenna mounted up front on the hood by the AM/FM antenna or off the back. Currently I have my antenna mounted off the back next to my spare tire, and my performance sucks. So i am thinking about moving it.

Its going to suck either in the front or the back. Ideal is right in the middle of the ground plane. I mounted mine on my roof rack and used the rack as the ground plane. I love it, my swr's are 1.2 on 1 and 40 and almost dead flat on 20.

The best place for your antenna is the center of your roof.
It is the upper most part of your vehicle and is surrounded by a flat ground plane.

The Second most effective point on the vehicle is at the front of the vehicle. They make cowl mount brackets for this purpose, or you can make your own. The bracket mounts to the inner fender lip under the hood and extends up though the hood/fender gap. This mount has more obstruction to the rear of the vehicle and plenty of ground plane. Mounting on the fender opposite the AM/FM antenna works.

The least optimal location is on the rear quarter or light box mount because of the proximity to the body and the least amount of radiator exposed.

Mounting on Tire Mounts is right out, don't even bother unless you have an antenna which does not require a ground plane.

Many folks like the fiberglass stick antennas. I think they suck. They are heavy and stiff. I have found them on the trails where they hit a tree and snapped the mount. Find a nice bottom load 5/8 Wave antenna like a K-40 or Larsen with a long whip. Leave the stick antennas to truckers ;)

Ron

Its going to suck either in the front or the back. Ideal is right in the middle of the ground plane. I mounted mine on my roof rack and used the rack as the ground plane. I love it, my swr's are 1.2 on 1 and 40 and almost dead flat on 20.
I have also mounted mine on the roof rack and found that this was the best location for my swr's

I have mine on a front fender mount (opposite of the am/fm radio antenna). I have a 3 ft. fiberglass with a medium-duty spring at the bottom. Run through branches all day long and it doesn't snap. ;)

yea I am moving my antenna from the rear bumper to the front fender opposite the AM/FM antenna. it seems to be a popular place with good reception. I can't put it on the roof because of a parking garage

If you mount the antenna near the rear hatch, and its 96 or lower, then you will have lousy results due to the fiberglass hatch.

I had to put metal tape on the roof of my FJ40 due to the lack of a proper ground plane.

how exactly do you go about grounding the antenna?

i have a magnet mount, that i have on top of my roof but its on the passenger side just a 1/2 foot from the windshield and about the same from the edge of the roof

the whip is real short though, but looks replaceable.

i have never used a CB before, and don't have any one specific to talk to...so i'm not sure if this is true but i can't raise any one on any channel. all i hear is silence on every channel haha, but the weather forcast works on it.

The thing here is that the shape of the ground plane will control where the radio throws the strongest signal. With the cb antenna mounted on the driver's side fender (say opposite of the radio antenna) the signal will tend to throw to the passenger rear. Mount it on the drivers quarter panel and it throws to the passenger front... So, centered on the roof is best. Not practical, but best. One reason the big rigs use two is an attempt to mitigate the directionality of the signal. Center cowl mount maybe? Have not actually seen anyone do it, but it would be a compromise. Who would want to look at the antenna though?

When setting the SWR, the length of the cable between the antenna and the radio will affect the signal. The more cable, the more the antenna will need trimming.

My information is based on an ARRL antenna course I took in 1967 for SWL...
Amateur
Radio
Relay
League

I have mine mounted dead center of the hood, just behind the winch. I have it mounted so that if I hit a tree limb it will lay flat over the hood and not break. I get a low SWR of around .7

I run a Uniden PC-78 radio

Here is a pic of the antenna mount location;
DSC_0173-1.jpg

So another question...sorry to hijack. Where can I go to get my cb tuned? I get ok receiving signal, but only about 200 ft sending signal. I have a firestick mounted on the driverside rear bumper

Once upon a time, Rat Shack would help you.

Yeah its a real shame radio shack doesnt know jack about radios anymore. Im to young to remember, but my dad said that where he used to go.

I did buy my 9 foot stainless whip there though for $20! I mounted it on the rear quarter to the left of the gas filler. More then 2/3rd's is above the roof line so I actually get good reception. Alot better then my TJ's 4' wilson flex mounted on the fender.

Anyone ever rip out a mount from the sheetmetal?? I plan on some JCR quarter panels guards/ taillight boxes soon so that should make a big difference.

I mounted mine across from the am/fm. I made a template and went to a steel / fabrication shop, they cut it out of 18ga stainless and bent it for only $20. Being in Alaska I can't just go down and buy something like that over the counter, anyways I like mine better then any bracket that I have seen for sale online.

where do you guys mount your CB's inside the jeep Im looking for some ideas was thinking about cutting out where the ash tray was and using that, any thoughts/pics would be great

sorry for the hijack

where do you guys mount your CB's inside the jeep Im looking for some ideas was thinking about cutting out where the ash tray was and using that, any thoughts/pics would be great

sorry for the hijack

My full size radio is above the rear view mirror and fits nicely.

I mounted my full size cobra above the rearview mirror as well. If anyone is looking for information about setting up the Antenna and tuning try www.Rightchannelradios.com they have tech articles and videos to show you how to set everything up and how to use an SWR meter. It helped me out a lot, plus the feed back that I got from here about where to mount the antenna

Back