• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Brake Lines

CamoChero

NAXJA Forum User
I bought an 88 XJ a while back with a 3 inch lift and some other goodies on it. However, the previous owner did not clearance the body enough to run the 32 swampers that are currently installed so i have some rub on the fenders in the rear. Now, I have a set of blocks for the rear to give me another inch/inch 1/2 of lift, but my brake lines are not long enough to handle this extra height. What length brake lines should i get? My current ones are not stretched but anymore lift and they will be. I do plan on removing my rear sway bar for some extra articulation, as well as going with a long arm swap in the front. Suggestions on lengths of line or even a general rule of thumb would be greatly appreciated.

I used 95 YJ lines,others have gone aftermarket stainless steel.
I,m at about 4 1/2"

Wayne

Don't run blocks... and trim the fenders more to clear the tires.

DEFINITELY dump that rear swaybar though.

Why should I not run blocks? Unless you go with a fairly expensive lift kit, most kits come with blocks for the rear. If its a weak set-up why do so many run them? I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but that was a totally useless addition to this thread. You gave an answer to a question that wasn't asked and didn't give any reason for the answer.

Sorry, I usually don't do that...

Blocks are bad because they result in spring wrap - wrecks your leaf springs fast, the taller they are the faster it happens. At the same time it causes greater pinion lift while accelerating, which will cause driveline vibes and wear out your U-joints faster than you want.

As for brake lines, yeah, YJ lines are a good plan. The MJ rear brake line is also a few inches longer than an XJ one, exact length depends on what MJ you get it for (4x4 or 2x4, LWB or SWB, etc) and I seem to recall some of them also being listed as fitting the YJ anyways.

people dont run blocks, fools run blocks.

exceptions:
-large trucks, with large leaf packs that dont warp as easily as xj springs.
-people like goatman, who design their suspensions from the ground up, and use traction bars.

leave the blocks for idiots in fullsizes.

Back