• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is a slip yoke eliminator?

mvella

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have heard that nobody likes the cherokee's because of the unibodu(they dont know whatthey are talkin about) and they have to have a slip yoke eliminator installed. ok now i know what a unibody is but what the hell is a slip yoke eliminator? where does it go, what does it do, what does it look like. when do i need one. will it help me off road, if so HOW? help me please.

The slip yoke is at the rear of the transfercase. Its part of the driveshaft. I guess there are a couple styles depending on the year. As the rear suspension moves up and down the yoke slides on the splines of the transfer case. As the suspension is compressed the yoke slides on the splined shaft. As the suspension drops the yoke wants to slide off the splined shaft. If the suspension was to drop far enough the spline would want to come off the shaft completely. At what amout of drop this occurers Im not sure. I understand it to be a bigger problem on the cj/tj stuff then the xj. As the xj is lifted and this yoke/ujoint combinations angle increases it will vibrate. This problem is cured by installing a slip yoke eliminator kit. There are a few different kits available to do this. The new driveshaft will have what amounts to two ujoints close together at the top of the shaft and one down at the bottom. This lets it run at a steeper angle without vibrating. Im not new to jeeps and mechanical things but Im new to xj's. I bought two books online when I bought my xj. I think one of them was a petersons book. It has a highly modified red cj/ yj/tj? on the cover. It covers very little on xjs. Manily some Jeepspeed stuff. If you have a tj its a great book. The other book I bought was Eric Zappe's book. Its only on xj's. Its not a repair manual but it has tons of good stuff in it. It's a MAJOR shortcut to get in the know of xj's. Im not pumping his book for him, I dont know him, Im not being paid or given anything by him. To me its the xj bible. If anyone can recomend something else please tell me. I have the fac service manuals.

btw- it has nothing to do with the Unibody too, as lifted Tj's and YJ's also need slip yokes after about 4" of lift.

sye.jpg

If I had it handy, I'd tell you - I ordered a copy to make sure I wasn't going to have to change any of mind around. He ordered one of mine, in turn - and we agreed that we're not likely to step on each other's toes.

Search for a thread called something like "A New Book about the XJ has just been released" - since that's where he announced it.

If you want to know more about my book, click the link in my sig. I'm working on updates for it (slowly, I'm focussing more on my second Jeep book right now!) but the book is issued in a binder, which makes it easy to update if and when.

I've really got to do something with all this paper in my office - I know that book is here somewhere...

5-90

mvella said:
...what the hell is a slip yoke eliminator? where does it go, what does it do, what does it look like. when do i need one. will it help me off road, if so HOW? help me please.

Simply put, when you lift your XJ it is common to develop vibration in the rear driveline. This is due to the stock slip yoke design which as needsrepair described, is the yoke of the driveshaft that slides over the transfer case output shaft. The fix is to install a slip yoke eliminator (SYE). The SYE converts the slip yoke to a fixed yoke and also shortens the transfer case output shaft. The stock driveshaft will no longer work with the SYE, so you'll need to purchase a CV driveshaft. The "CV" joint is a double cardan, or double u-joint if you will, that can operate at a steeper angle than the single u-joint of the stock driveshaft. Also since the SYE uses a shorter output shaft, the driveshaft is longer, and therefore at less of an angle to begin with. That's the gist of it anyway....

workman01 said:
what's the name of Eric Zappe's book
That's my book and it is "High-Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide". Click the links in my sig if you are interested in reading more about it. You can get it just about anywhere.

needsrepair - Thanks! Glad you like it. :)

Last edited:
EricsXJ said:
That's my book and it is "High-Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide". Click the links in my sig if you are interested in reading more about it. You can get it just about anywhere.

needsrepair - Thanks! Glad you like it. :)

One big difference - Eric went through a publisher (I don't recall which,) while I'm doing everything on my own hook. It's a little more work that way (OK, a lot more work!) but it allows me to maintain creative control over the work...

I do highly recommend Eric's book - for general XJ tech and improvement, it's actually very good. (And, coming from another author in the same genre, that's quite a compliment!)

(Of course, Eric probably also has a much easier time doing his taxes as a result... Me, I'm about to just get drunk 15FEB - 15APR, and take off the booze as a "Tax Preparation Expense..." Should be good for about a $5000 deduction!)

5-90

EricsXJ said:
Thanks 5-90. Taxes for me will be easy this year (I get to write-off my travel expenses to SEMA... business expenses you know... ;) )

Yeah. It's nice being able to write off my Jeep rag subs, most automotive books, any FSMs I get, ...

Nice thing about having a "business" that's grown out of one of your hobbies - suddenly, the IRS gets less of your money...

5-90

Back